Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25539 by gfinn
Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Hi Guys,
I've been using Dcad 10 and Dcad plus ~ noted the upgrade process and waited... and here I am having purchased Dcad 12 which hopefully arrives tomorrow in the mail!

However my faithful CAD machine is a P3 running windows 98... and my draftsman's is a Dulon? (not an Athlon) running XP.

I can use a different PC without a lot of expense.. but I am comfortable with my old beast ..... wondering if Dcad 12 is incompatible with these CAD dedicated PC's ... or do I really have to spend a weekend shuffling everything around?
#25550 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:53 am
Hello,

I would buy a WinXP machine now, while you still can -- Vista is not quite ready for prime time, IMO, and getting a WinXP machine now would be a good thing. And moving to a Intel Core 2 Duo or an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with 2GB of RAM and a modern video card will be a revelation, I think. I recently built such a machine for a fellow DBUG member, replacing a P!!! 866mHz/1GB/8 year old video card, and he is very pleased with the large and very noticeable improvement.

Also, you can easily run v12 on it, and probably on the AMD Duron as well, especially if it has 1GB of RAM, or more.
#25578 by gfinn
Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:46 pm
I already have two PC's running XP and one with windows 2000 that I could use for Datacad but I will have to move all my personal junk onto them ... and the kids wont be happy giving them up!

I have been using this old beast with win 98 for about 7 years now I think ..... Seem a pity to stop using it when it still works well. Oh .. well... that's progress for you.
#25584 by Ted B
Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 am
What's the minimum Hard-drive, Ram and video Ram requirements for DCAD-12? I'm debating upgrading my 600-mHz Athlon running XP vs. a whole new dual-something XP-system. Money's tight; otherwise it would be a no-brainer to replace the old beast.
#25588 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:41 am
Hello Ted,

If you already have your symbols installed, then the v12 installation is much less than the ~700MB of HD space it mentions in the minimum requirements list on the DataCAD web pages. On my machine, I did everything but the symbols and DCAL, and the folder is ~322MB.

As for RAM, you can get away with 512-768MB, but 1GB or more would be much better. If you are running v11 and it is slow, then it may be a tad slower with v12. But if it has no problems with v11, then you'll be fine.

IHTH