Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25549 by Bruce111
Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:49 am
I seem to be getting a problem with groups. I create a group of about 2600 entity's and then copy and paste the group into the same drawing and all is well. When I come to move the group it is randomly split and does not move as a group. Can anyone confirm this. Is there a limit to groups now?
Many thanks
#25551 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:58 am
Hello Bruce,

You may want to use Selection Sets instead of groups, as this will let the entities be on different layers and you can view the included entities; and add or remove entities after the fact more easily than you can with Groups. And you can define up to 10 Selection Sets. :)
#25554 by Jon C. Hubart
Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:10 pm
Bruce111 wrote:I seem to be getting a problem with groups. I create a group of about 2600 entity's and then copy and paste the group into the same drawing and all is well. When I come to move the group it is randomly split and does not move as a group. Can anyone confirm this. Is there a limit to groups now?
Many thanks

I can confirm this but only when using an old v11 default file. If I create a new v12 non-default file the copy and past seems to work properly.

With the V11 file, I created 3 lines individually and then used the group command. I also tried creating 3 lines chained together as a single group. I then copy and past the 3 lines into the same file. When I try to move the new 3 lines as a group I get the first two only.
#25557 by Bruce111
Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:26 pm
I have created a 180 lines group solely in V12, Copied and Pasted it multiple times and then moved the groups individually a set distance, and the result was all groups except the first original group left behind a random part of the group. The first original group had not been copied and pasted so I assume the problem is within that part of the operation.
I think I will have to look at Neil solution to the problem and see if that works.
Thank you Neil and Jon.
#25559 by Jon C. Hubart
Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:33 pm
My point was not that any of the entities were created in version 11 but that your default file may be one you carried over from version 11.

Are you using a default file to start your drawings? If you are, try the same test without a default file and see if the problem continues.
#25562 by Bruce111
Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:49 pm
Hi Jon.

I have tried this with the default file and without it and I can reproduce the same results. Using the non default file all seem ok when doing the same operations with 3 squares. Then I did an array in a non specific direction and then preformed the copy, paste and move operations, I could reproduce the problem.
Can you try doing an array and see if you can reproduce the problem or is it just me, I have been using the machine all day so it could be user error.
#25563 by Jon C. Hubart
Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:07 pm
I tried your array test with a non default file and am getting the same results you mention. There is definitely something amiss.