Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25552 by Giuseppe Barberio
Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:05 pm
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask how everyone will be accomplishing 2D Construction documents using Dcad 12 Smart walls & other smart functions. In Dcad Plus, there were many instances where I would have to suplement smart walls with 2D lines & entities in order to make the the construction documents look as they should. I would think that I'll run into the same issue with Dcad 12.

I've extracted 2D elements using Dcad 12 extract function. I noticed that 2D elements are saved to an assigned layer. If I perform extract function more than once, the 2D elements are not overwritten but are saved to new assigned layer.

Given the way 2D elements are saved I would like to ask forum members how they would incorporate ( or not ) the 2D "stuff" into their views & multi layouts.

I do like the ability of being able to fill in the gaps so to speak with normal 2D entities.

Looking forward to hearing how all of you will manage the 3D to 2D drawings. Hoping to learn from everyone.

Thanks,

Giuseppe
#25569 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:39 pm
Hi Guiseppe,

I have not yet used v12 on a job, from beginning to end; only for parts of jobs. I would try very hard to not convert the smart walls/windows/doors into 2D. If things are not cleaning the way you need them to -- I would tell the folks in Avon about it, and they may well be able to get it to work better; and as a work around, I would patch in the gaps with 2D lines.

Can you post some images, so we can get a better picture of what you are trying to do?
#25570 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:28 pm
Hi Guiseppe,

I agree with Neil, don't extract the 2D for your drawings. I would only use the Extract command when sending the file to a non-v12 or Datacad user.

The whole intent of the Smart Walls, Doors, & Windows was to be both 2D and 3D without any major editting. You will find some gaps in how this system works only because it is new and evolving. For the majority of what I have been doing it is 99.9% right on as I need it to be, the .1% is one of those things that only comes up once in a great while. Post them to DataCAD and I am sure they will incorporate a fix with one of the incremental updates.
#25608 by Giuseppe Barberio
Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:00 pm
I haven't experimented enough to come across any 3D to 2D editing issues. I'll be interested in how wall hatching for will be handled in cases where we may have a brick veneer with cavity & wall studs.

I am also wondering about varying degrees of detail at different plot scales.

So far I think Datacad 12 has given us a great start & I hope they keep building with smart roofs, stairs, columns, etc.

Giuseppe
#25658 by Clayton Taylor
Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:02 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:
So far I think Datacad 12 has given us a great start & I hope they keep building with smart roofs, stairs, columns, etc.

Giuseppe

I think once the smart roofs, stairs etc are on the table, we need some form of VW viewport so we can extract elevations/sections etc and.........to have the ability to draw over the view ports in 2D for con doc refinements. Of course, all the viewports should be live, so when the 3D model is updated, the viewports will also.

In the meantime, although the smart walls, doors & windows are great, I'm not too sure if I'd use them for con docs without the above, that is olny if I had a request to do some basic 3D models or perhaps a trace over using smarts for client queries etc.

Perhaps some form of movie tutorials from DC HQ would assist us on this to demonstrate how the smarts that we have now, may also be put to good use for con docs.

Over & out,

Clayton.
#25673 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:14 pm
I agree about the tutorials.

I would love to see how the new smarts can be used. Demonstrations on how a 2 story or taller building is organized & composed using the smart entities for 2D construction docs would really be interesting to see.

I'll ask everyone out there to also share what they are learning and post it.

Hope to hear from everyone. This forum is a great resource.

Thank you all.

Giuseppe
#25674 by Tony Blasio
Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:23 pm
Giuseppe,

I typically draw residential plans only. A 2 story house would have 3 sets of layers based on the following: 0-WALL (foundation walls); 1-WALL (first floor walls); and 2-WALL (second floor walls). I then set my z-heights for these walls: 0-WALL at zb= -9 and zh= -1; 1-WALL at zb=0 and zh= 8.1; 2-WALL at zb= 8.11 and zh= 17. I then draw all plans on top of each other. I do the entire base plan this way in it's own drawing file. If the plan needs it I will do floor framing in 3D as well using slabs. Throw in a 3D roof with slabs or Roofit and with the new Smart stuff you get a pretty good 3D model to use to do your elevations. I am starting to incorporate some Model Only layers (1-MODL-whatever) that has corner boards and porch beams and brackets, etc.. for enhancing the elevations

For me the new Smart Walls, Doors and Windows look 99% like what I did in v11. The main difference is that I used symbols for doors and windows. I have decided to use the new Doors and Windows because I will get the 3D as well. XREF the base plan into my sheet file and I add dims and text.

Hope this helps a bit.
#25676 by Ben at TJB Architects
Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:12 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:I typically draw residential plans only. A 2 story house would have 3 sets of layers based on the following: 0-WALL (foundation walls); 1-WALL (first floor walls); and 2-WALL (second floor walls). I then set my z-heights for these walls: 0-WALL at zb= -9 and zh= -1; 1-WALL at zb=0 and zh= 8.1; 2-WALL at zb= 8.11 and zh= 17. I then draw all plans on top of each other. I do the entire base plan this way in it's own drawing file. If the plan needs it I will do floor framing in 3D as well using slabs. Throw in a 3D roof with slabs or Roofit and with the new Smart stuff you get a pretty good 3D model to use to do your elevations. I am starting to incorporate some Model Only layers (1-MODL-whatever) that has corner boards and porch beams and brackets, etc.. for enhancing the elevations

Oh, the multiple sets of layers...exactly what I would like to see DataCAD get away from...here was an idea borrowed from other programs.
http://forum.datacad.com/viewtopic.php?t=5898&highlight=
Even with a good default drawing I find that half of our employees can't grasp the importance of good layer control.

As for the additional layers...I'm doing something similar.
Just adding a "3D" to the beginning of layers that won't be turned on in plan view.