Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25657 by Ben at TJB Architects
Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:59 pm
Is there a way to change the colors of the existing door or window types all at once?...I mean all the types at once.
No offense, but I don't care for the default colors.
The materials are fine, just the colors in 2D.
#25668 by joshhuggins
Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:23 pm
Good question, I too would like to know this.
#25745 by Mark Toce
Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:19 am
Not easily.

Each *.DOR and *.WIN file is a plain text file that you can open with a text editor. You could use a global search and replace program to replace the text that defines the color index number of each component.

It would probably be easier to just redefine them in the respective Managers when you come across one that you want to change.
#25750 by Ben at TJB Architects
Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:12 am
That's about what I figured.
I guess it's OK...I'll adjust them as needed.
Thanks.
#25793 by Giuseppe Barberio
Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:32 am
I have been using the door manager with the Use Symbol 3D option checked. I then tried changing the rendering properties by loading a wood veneer. When I look at the door with the object viewer, I see no change. The door is not rendered with a wood veneer. I noticed that by unchecking the Use Symbol 3D I loose the 3D door symbol and the wood veneer is then applied to a basic parametric door.

I assume this is the way its supposed to work. If so, does this mean I need to create predefined 3D doors already rendered with materials.

Where can I find detailed instructions on how to create 2D symbols & 3D symbols for doors and windows.

Thanks all,

Giuseppe
#25795 by Mark Toce
Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:12 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:I have been using the door manager with the Use Symbol 3D option checked. I then tried changing the rendering properties by loading a wood veneer. When I look at the door with the object viewer, I see no change. The door is not rendered with a wood veneer. I noticed that by unchecking the Use Symbol 3D I loose the 3D door symbol and the wood veneer is then applied to a basic parametric door.
If you use a symbol to display the 3D door, the rendering settings are derived from those within the symbol definition. You would need to open the door symbol in the Symbol Editor to change what material is being used.
The stes are:
  1. Insert a copy of the symbol into the drawing, then double click on it to open it in the Symbol Editor.
  2. Select Search and Replace from the Edit pull-down menu. Replace the existing material with the new one you want to use instead.
  3. Click the [x] to close the Symbol Editor and choose [Yes] to save the changes.
You may now use the new symbol in the model.

Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Where can I find detailed instructions on how to create 2D symbols & 3D symbols for doors and windows.
The method for creating symbols for use a doors is no different from the method for saving other symbols. After you have drawn the door that you want to use, choose Save Symbol from the Symbol Browser pull-down menu, select a folder to save into, then choose the information to save. Be sure to select the lower left front corner of the geometry as the insertion point for the symbol.
#25798 by Giuseppe Barberio
Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 am
Thanks for the reply Mark.

I'll give it a try. Once I save changes to the door symbol with new rendering properties, will it overwrite other rendering properties of doors use in other drawing files?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
#25800 by Mark Toce
Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:26 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Thanks for the reply Mark.

I'll give it a try. Once I save changes to the door symbol with new rendering properties, will it overwrite other rendering properties of doors use in other drawing files?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
No. When you use the Symbol Editor to make changes to a symbol definition, the definition is updated only for the drawing file from which you opened the Symbol Editor. It does not overwrite the symbol definition that is on the hard drive.

At present, you may only overwrite the symbol in the drawing - there is no option to overwrite the one on the hard drive. You can also select File\Save As while in the Symbol Editor to save a new symbol from the geometry.
#25801 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:46 am
Once you have edited the symbol and it is revised in your drawing you can overwrite the HD one. In your Symbol Browser go to Drawing. Find the symbol you edited and right click on it. Select Save As and it goes will automatically find it's original location. Select Save and Yes when asked if you want to overwrite it.