Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#26729 by Michael Olney
Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:14 pm
I never had problems with my hardlock until I installed a new program on my home computer. Some type of McAffee firewall came with the program and although I personally don't like McAffee products, I just told the computer to install everything (I was in a hurry at the time). I immediately started to have problems with my hardlock along with some other USB devices. I seems that the new firewall was denying access from the USB devices on occasions. After I uninstalled the firewall, everything worked fine again. For those that have hardlock problems and use a firewall, maybe you could look at your firewall settings to see if it is causing conflicts with your USB devices.
#26730 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:16 pm
That's some serious firewall if it's blocking USB devices :shock:
#26731 by Sam
Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:40 pm
Seems I've suffered premature exhuberance as relates to my previous post. Just now lost the hardlock and had to save on exit.
#26732 by Sam
Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:07 pm
BTW. Datacad failed to open on both restart and reboot. Starts back up when key is removed and then re-inserted. Saga continues.
#26738 by Michael Olney
Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:09 pm
joshhuggins wrote:That's some serious firewall if it's blocking USB devices

Yeah, it must be. Since I didn't want that firewall anyway, I never looked into why it was blocking them.

For those that are still having problems with your hardlock, have you tried using it on another computer? That might help to narrow down the problem.
#26769 by Vmorris1
Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:13 pm
Sam wrote:Vincent- I too am having the exact same problems as you have described. Did you ever find a solution? Techsupport doesn't seem too interested I'm afraid. Thanks. Sam

Hello Sam,
No to date I have not been able to locate what is causing the problem. It is very allusive. There are days when I will loose the hardlock key many times in one session, other times it will work the way it should.

Sometimes to get the program to work without removing the hardlock, if I first launch v11 then shut it down and then try to launch v12, v12 will startup.

What I am really concern about in continually removing the hardlock for v12 is eventually I will damage it.

I am reminded of an earlier version of datacad when the USB hardlock was first used and I removed it for some reason and when I went to put it back the coding? Within the key was damaged and I had to shutdown, send the key back to datacad for them to exchange it.