Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25841 by Clayton Taylor
Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:05 pm
To all,

Started a project ages ago in DC11 for planning permission, now doing the plans for building regs, but when I start putting dimensions on the plans, the string lines disappear just leaving the text. H'mmmm............. I can only get the string lines to appear again by exiting DC & restarting, this happens every time I dimension something........yikes, can't live with that................so back to DC11 for this project. :?

I hope it's just a glitch from my old DC11 plans to DC12, so will try this out on something new in DC12.

Over & out,

Clayton.
#25844 by Mark Toce
Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 pm
Try hitting [u] on the keyboard to update the display list when the lines disappear.
#25866 by Clayton Taylor
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:16 pm
Mark Toce wrote:Try hitting [u] on the keyboard to update the display list when the lines disappear.

Mark,

Great news, this works a treat, all my string lines do re-appear. However it takes a second or two for regen, so if I've got lots of dimensions to do, this is additional time lost and distracts my mind set when doing it.

Mark, I hope this is a bug that is going to be fixed soon, can you confirm this :?:

Many thanks for your quick fix solution in the meantime.

Over & out,

Clayton.
#25869 by Mark Toce
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:23 pm
Did you have to do something to make the dimension lines disappear, i.e. pan or zoom after selecting the points to define the dimensions? Were you creating associative or non-associative dimensions?
#25871 by Dick Eades
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 pm
I have seen this happen in v11 especially if I get in a hurry and do something to interrupt the generation of the display list. I suspect that this is what's happening here.
#25881 by Clayton Taylor
Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:09 am
Mark Toce wrote:Did you have to do something to make the dimension lines disappear, i.e. pan or zoom after selecting the points to define the dimensions? Were you creating associative or non-associative dimensions?

Well, I'm almost certain some were visable if you didn't move around the drawing when dimensioning. But moving around the drawing, i.e. panning is naturally necessary when ensuring one can see the detail to which your dimensioning to, if you see what I mean, this is when they disappear.

Oh, & on this plan, non-associative dims were required.

Anyone else getting these string lines disappearing????

Over & out,

Clayton.
#25882 by Clayton Taylor
Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 am
Mark Toce wrote:Try hitting [u] on the keyboard to update the display list when the lines disappear.

Just thinking aloud a moment, as I've never had to hit the "U" key in any version of DC before, & now getting use to it, not so big a deal.

I was wondering if a screen icon "U" could be made available so you could take it with you so to speak (floating icon) around the plan you're dimensioning for more focused regens when you need to :idea:

Over & out,

Clayton.
#25920 by Mark Toce
Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:25 am
The first update for DC12 will contain a fix for this problem. The problem description is as follows:

Create a new drawing and go to the Dimension\Linear menu. Toggle Associative OFF. Select two points to define the dimension, then the side on which to place the text. Right click or hit [Enter] to accept the text. Pan or Zoom the screen. At this point the dimensions will disappear until you hit [u] to update the display list.
#25931 by John Rowan
Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:28 am
I thought the display list could be toggled to be refreshed without hitting U in previous versions? Having to update the display list manually is a royal pain :?
#25936 by Chris Kryzanek
Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:46 am
Yep, the dimension glitch is here for us as well.

I hope the update for this comes soon.
#25946 by Mark Toce
Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:44 pm
John Rowan wrote:I thought the display list could be toggled to be refreshed without hitting U in previous versions? Having to update the display list manually is a royal pain :?
In DC11 and prior you could have Display List on or off. When on, the sub-option Max Acceleration was available. This option took extra shortcuts in screen regeneration for faster display.

Now in DC12, Display List is always on.
#25959 by John Rowan
Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:53 pm
Sorry, I don't understand that one. If display list is always on, why does it need refreshing?

It's not just dimensions. I have sometimes pasted large chunck of data in from another drawing and thought I must have failed to place it correctly only to find it's there several times :(

John
#25964 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:50 pm
John Rowan wrote:Sorry, I don't understand that one. If display list is always on, why does it need refreshing?

In the case of un-associated dimensions, it had to do with the functions that actually create them. The same set of functions actually create/draw both associative and non-associative dims. We did this in order to have them appear the same. I can't really explain the reason for the dimension problem, only because that might reveal a little too much about some of our internal functionality. Just know, that we know why it was happening and have corrected it.

John then wrote:It's not just dimensions. I have sometimes pasted large chunck of data in from another drawing and thought I must have failed to place it correctly only to find it's there several times :(

We really need something that can be reproduced here in order to correct this. If you can track the steps, entities, etc. that cause this, we'll fix it and get it into your hands!

Dave