Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25901 by sledge
Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:28 am
Inserting Sketch up works well.
BUT
Importing Dwg based drawing back into Sketchup from Datacad smashes any planes into lost of triangles which wont edit and are a pain if you want to change textures.

Why (I hear you ask) would anyone want to open sketchup into Datacad and then go back to Sketchup. Well Sketchup does lots of things well but mirroring is not one of them. I had to mirror one of my projects. Is there a better way?

Steve
#25902 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:22 am
Hello Steve,

Yes, the tesselation is a problem -- but why did you need it back in SU? Once back in SU, you can erase the "extra" edges, but this can take some time.

I think that there may be a way to export directly to SKP -- if they have a toolkit for this, then DataCAD may be able to do this at some point in the future.
#25906 by BHS
Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:01 pm
sledge wrote:Inserting Sketch up works well.
BUT
Importing Dwg based drawing back into Sketchup from Datacad smashes any planes into lost of triangles which wont edit and are a pain if you want to change textures.

The tessellation is created by the dwg conversion and the diagonals are (at least in the models I tested this in) separating two sections of the same co-planar face (meaning you can erase them in SU and they will join back as they used to be.

To see them all go to edit/unhide/all.

Manually erasing them could be a huge headache in a big model, but for a small house it might be worth it if you have a need to go from SU :arrow: DCAD :arrow: SU with a model.
[see next post for easy solution!]

sledge wrote:Inserting Sketch up works well.
BUT
Why (I hear you ask) would anyone want to open sketchup into Datacad and then go back to Sketchup. Well Sketchup does lots of things well but mirroring is not one of them. I had to mirror one of my projects. Is there a better way?

Yes, if you select your model (or a component within it) and right-click/flip along/red, green or blue axis, it will mirror it in that direction. Not sure what version this was released in, but I am in SU6 and it is there.

Hope that helps
Last edited by BHS on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
#25971 by BHS
Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am
As a follow-up to my previous post, there is a better way to eliminate the creation of tessellations as the DCAD (dwg/dxf) is being imported into SU.

File/import/[select your file] and click "options on the right side of the window.

Check the "Merge coplanar faces" box and the faces should not be tessellated upon import.

Much easier! :D