Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25930 by MouseJockey
Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:20 am
I thought one of the features for 12 was going to allow you to add text to Associated dimensions. You know the +/- or VIF that get added to a lot of the dimensions on a condocs set.

Now that we've upgraded to 12, I can't seem to find that feature. This has kept the rest of the office using non-associated dims and I really want to force the Neandearthals into the modern age! Anyone know about this?
#25939 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm
This is not currently in the release version of v.12. I know people have asked for this, (and I agree it would be nice) but I don't recall anything from Datacad that this would in there. I usually just plop the text needed via a symbol in front of the associated dim text for a few dims that require the additional text. It just takes a few secs. You can now have unique dim styles for each associated dims which is another really great reason to use Associated dims, along with the mess unassociated dims can make. Using unassociated dims is just asking for trouble almost every time IMHO. And a lot of the time that trouble is very costly.
#25940 by Giuseppe Barberio
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:15 pm
I would very much like to see text editing features for associative dimensioning. I believe that this is a wish list item but if not I hope that we do get this feature.
#25941 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:46 pm
Hello,

I think this would be fine for adding notation (+/- or VIF or NTS) but if we can actually change the dimension (other than rounding or units changes) -- then what is the point of having it be associative?

If the dim is 10' -- but you change it to 12', then this is wrong, wrong, wrong! You should stretch/redraft the drawing, or something! Otherwise, this would totally defeat the purpose of associative dimensioning...
#25942 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm
I agree with Neil, it should only allow additional text at the front and back of the dimension text.
#25943 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:07 pm
I despise unassociated dimensions for the same reasons that Neil mentioned, but...
Maybe there could be a feature that turns DimText to red if it is changed from its association.
I would like to be able to change the text on some dimensions to something like...EQ. or addtext like...To Face or To Column.
Mostly so that the text will recenter itself if stretched.

Also, I would like to be able to move DimText on Ortho parallel to the DimLine instead of the free for all that it is now.
#25953 by MouseJockey
Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:40 pm
Thanks all for replying. I guess I was wishing for it so badly it became a feature in my mind!

The rest of the office feels that since we have to change several dimension text strings, we'd better just leave them all as unassociated. But I've had that bite me in the butt as a set of condocs went out with something labeled as 1'-6" when it got stretched to 3'-0" later. Thankfully it wasn't a disaster, but still frightened me.

I've gone to showing my associated dims in one color, unassociated (w/ annotations) in another. Josh, I'll have to try your method. But I fear stray annotations floating around the drawings.

I remember ACAD having the <> symbol as indicating the dimension. That way one could remove the measurement entirely, but add it later if necessary.
#25956 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:55 pm
MouseJockey wrote:But I fear stray annotations floating around the drawings.

I remember ACAD having the <> symbol as indicating the dimension. That way one could remove the measurement entirely, but add it later if necessary.
Yeah that is the down side for my workaround, but it's better than the 1'-6" vs. 3'-0" opps though :wink: Using area or fence usually picks them up along in the stretch. I can see the need as others mention for being able to completely change the dimension text. Maybe an indicator as you mention which could be set to a user defined symbol then have in a key to note this dimension is modified and is not to a proper scale. And if dimensions with this type of edit that are stretched later should highlight, and (edited) remain highlighted until each is manually o.k.'ed by a user? As said above it's usually only a few dims so it shouldn't be too much hassle and part of the cost for having incorrect dims. :twisted: