Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25960 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:51 pm
This was brought up in the beta testing, and I'm not sure if the current version of the issue is the result of work done to address the issue or not.
I've noticed this for quite a while (months) but couldn't figure out what it was until now. If I move a selection using Area it's real choppy. I can move the same selection using Group and it's quick as it should be. The more complex the group the more you can see the difference in the move speed/choppyness, but it happens on really simple selections too. I can reproduce it in any drawing with a lot of information on the screen / active layers. My max lines is set to 100, but doesn't seem related, but if over the limit and using the box you can't tell. I think this is what I was having issues back with way back in the beginning when I thought it was the Double Precision Display (DPD).

Previous Post
Video Clip

Devinder's response
When group are created they have begin/end markers and it just a matter to find the first entity (by traversing backwards) from the entity found by click and then going forward till end is found.
For Area, depending on layer search criteria, entities extents are tested against the area box defined by user and this takes time and thus the cause of slowness.
I think changes can me made so this search criteria is done only once.

So currently using 12.00.00 when I see this issue, it reacts the same as before in regard to the slow down via Area. But after the fist copy is placed, the speed returns to a nice and fast speed. So I was wondering if this is what is meant by Devinder's post in that the "I think changes can me made so this search criteria is done only once." I know there is bigger fish to fry than performance issues right now for you gents, but just thought I'd squeak a little and was curious if this partial speed up was an implemented fix. Either way I'd like to toss my vote into the someday list to get the first placement sped up also when appropriate to do so. It's a pretty common everyday command where the first placement is usually the only placment.
Thanks all. Image
#25973 by devinder
Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:48 pm
Fixed for next update.
#25974 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:28 pm
Most excellent. Thank you very much. :D