Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25980 by Clayton Taylor
Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:36 am
To all,

I concur with Debbie on this, it would be good if it could be located on the smart walls new interface somewhere as well. Perhaps it's all part of a master plan to be updated & linked into smart floors sometime. :idea:

Over & out,

Clayton.

Hello Debbie,

> Thanks Neil and AJ - almost identical answers. I'd never worked with z
> height and finding the z height setting was troubling me - finally found it
> buried under settings under 3d. Seemed to me that it was so important that
> it should have been on a main toolbar somewhere or at least under one of the
> main drop down menus.

Just hit the Z key, and then enter the Z-base (often 0) and then the
Z-height. ;-) This can be done universally, or By Layer -- check in
the Tools/Program Preferences for this option.
--
Sincerely, Neil.
#25984 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 am
Hello Clayton,

For smart walls, if you open the entity properties (with the optional double click), then you can change the Z-base and/or Z-height that way, too. Alt-C Change Z-Base/Height is the way that we have had to change Z values all along, so, it makes a lot of sense to me to continue to use.

If you set the Z values by the Wall Type -- then you would be forced to have a different Wall Type for each height of wall; since changes to the Wall Type affect all the walls of that type. No, I think it is better to set the Z values for individual walls.
#25986 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:41 am
Clayotn,

I agree with Neil on this. Z heights being part of the wall would mean that a 2x4 wall at 8-foot and an 2x4 wall at 9-foot would be 2 different types. Considering how many different wall heights you could have this would be unmanagable. As it is you can have a 2x4 wall and set it's height to anything on the fly, 4-foot, 8-foot, etc...much more flexible.
#25992 by Paul Nida
Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 am
I am with Neil and Tony on this one at least to the degree that the height of the wall should not be tied to the wall type in general. However, I would like to be able to set the z-heights of individual lines of the wall definition for creating wainscots, etc. I believe this is something that is supposed to be coming in a future update along with increasing the allowable number of lines per wall type. I assume that this would not affect the overall wall height but I wonder that if we do get this feature would we then have to set the z-height of all of the lines in the wall type?
#25996 by deliriousga
Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:23 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello Clayton,

For smart walls, if you open the entity properties (with the optional double click), then you can change the Z-base and/or Z-height that way, too. Alt-C Change Z-Base/Height is the way that we have had to change Z values all along, so, it makes a lot of sense to me to continue to use.

If you set the Z values by the Wall Type -- then you would be forced to have a different Wall Type for each height of wall; since changes to the Wall Type affect all the walls of that type. No, I think it is better to set the Z values for individual walls.
Ditto, except you can't change the Z-base in the entity properties, only the Z-height.

Alt-C gets you to the change Z-base/Z-height menu, but that one won't set the Z-height for a smart wall since it's in the entity settings. It would be nice to be able to grab a bunch of smart entities and change them all at one time.
#25997 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:27 am
deliriousga wrote:Alt-C gets you to the change Z-base/Z-height menu, but that one won't set the Z-height for a smart wall since it's in the entity settings. It would be nice to be able to grab a bunch of smart entities and change them all at one time.

Alt-C can change the height, you just have to "change" the base too. Let's say you drew a bunch of smart walls with a z-base of 0 and a z-height of 8. After drawing you decided you really wanted all of them to have a z-height of 9. Go to Change and set the new z-height to be 9 but also set the base to be 0 and then select all the walls. Think of it as reinterating the base. This will then change the walls to be 9-feet tall and maintain the same base you had before.