Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25998 by deliriousga
Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:31 am
Is there any way to do this without creating separate window types?

For example, I have 3052 windows in the front and rear of a unit. The front windows are 2/2 panes, but the builder always uses 1/1 panes in the rear. If I change my 3052 window type to have 2/2 panes, the rear ones also change and vice-versa.

I don't see a way to do this in the properties box for the individual smart entity, but I'm hoping I'm missing something. If it's not there, it would be a great thing to have in a future release so we don't have to create so many window types. :D
#26008 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:55 am
We do this also. Some sort of per entity muntin value maybe or swapable symbols would be cool. Good one.
#26013 by Mark Toce
Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:31 am
Mullions are a property of the window type, so to have two different windows with different mullions, you'll need two window types. For your example, you could name the types 3052F and 3052R for Front and Rear.
#26032 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:46 pm
Hello,

The grills that are the divided lights/panes of glass -- are called muntins! The mullions are the "bits" of walls between window units -- speaking of which:

Will smart windows "heal" themselves when they are grouped close enough together to have the trim overlap? Please?
#26035 by deliriousga
Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:52 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Will smart windows "heal" themselves when they are grouped close enough together to have the trim overlap? Please?
That would be very nice so we don't have to create a Double 3052, Triple 3052, etc. to make them look right. Same with transoms.
#26038 by deliriousga
Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:10 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello,

The grills that are the divided lights/panes of glass -- are called muntins! The mullions are the "bits" of walls between window units --

Copied from dictionary.com:
mul·lion /ˈmʌlyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muhl-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Architecture
–noun 1. a vertical member, as of stone or wood, between the lights of a window, the panels in wainscoting, or the like.
2. one of the radiating bars of a rose window or the like.
–verb (used with object) 3. to furnish with, or to form into divisions by the use of, mullions.
#26043 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:02 pm
A mullion is located outside of the sash between window frames, whereas a muntin is located within the sash between lights.

See pg. 271, "A Visual Dictionary of Architecture" by Francis D.K. Ching.

MFM
#26044 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:14 pm
Greetings,

From www.dictionary.com:
mun·tin /ˈmʌntn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muhn-tn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Also called sash bar. a bar for holding the edges of window panes within a sash.
2. (formerly) a vertical bar in a window sash.
3. a stile within the frame of a door or the like.

They seem to have a need to name the vertical members -- what about the horizontal ones? :P

Mullions can also be horizontal, and sometimes can contain studs or structural members; and are between window units.

Muntins are much smaller, and are within the sash (or at least within the window frame); holding (or made to look like they are holding) the individual panes of glass.
#26050 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:27 pm
Mullions, Muttins. :roll:
Elvis had the only muttons that matter to the ladies. And what matters to the ladies, is all that matters.
Did I mention I'm going to Pismo Beach for a week?
#26055 by Mark Bell
Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:57 pm
Hello,

We're in the middle of designing some highrises and need to place double sliders and combinations of these and have encountered some obstacles:

1. The quickest workaround to get something that looks like a double slider (glass sliding door off a balcony where you have one or more fixed glass full-height panes with a sliding glass door x 2) is to create a standard single full-height glass sliding door then select 2 in the Quantity in the Window Manager. This mirrors the first one, however, the end frame at the strike side of the door is still visible, so in plan you end up with two frames in the center opening where the two doors slide open. (This needs omitting),

2. Another issue is the inability to flip/mirror/rotate a window in the same manner as a door after placement in a wall. We often want a sliding door (or window) to open in a certain direction and, at present, have had to cut the wall and draw another wall in the opposite direction to insert the sliding door/window so it opens in the opposite direction to the first one!

3. In future releases, it would be beneficial to allow additional options to create custom arrangements, ie. many Australian glazing manufacturers provide 2, 3, 4 or more sliding door leafs which open in different configurations allowing the whole 'wall' to open up.

4. In future releases introduce more flexibility to allow DataCAD to be used as a design tool and not just for documentation. It would be useful to introduce a 'generic' window that could be inserted numerous times into a wall and each window then changed to suit the individual sizing (different sill/head/opening sizes/opening direction). The current method is proving too rigid in having to create a unique window type prior to insertion. I can understand it works well for domestic residential housing where you work from a limited selection of known types but it falls short in projects where the actual end window type is still unknown and all that is required is a generic window/slider that denotes the intention. Maybe an 'un-link/explode' option can be added so that on insertion it is no longer tied back to the specific window type in the manager allowing free editing without affecting other window types already inserted in the drawing?

5. Include a plan view in the Manager showing the level of detail of the door/window being inserted, ie. some sliding windows are simply 3 lines whereas adjusting some toggles in the selection tabs will display the actual sliding panes etc.This is useful in knowing what is being drawn on the drawing.
#26056 by wvar
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:11 pm
I fully agree with Mark's comments about using CAD for the whole life cycle of a project. With many CAD programs, it takes too long to get a concept out because you need to develop concepts as if they were the final product.

I don't know if that makes sense?

Walter
#26063 by Bruce111
Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:14 am
I don't want to confuse the issue but here in the UK we define window members as follows.

Vertical members with the window frame as mullions
Horizontal members within the window frame as transoms.
Vertical members within casement (or sashes) as vertical grazing bars.
Horizontal members within casements (or Sashes) as horizontal glazing bars.

Muntins are vertical members within doors.

It is understood that in different world locations descriptions of member parts varies, and perhaps a visual key need to be adopted to clearly define joinery member descriptors.

Many thanks

Bruce
#26066 by ticomccr
Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:28 am
Mark Toce wrote:Mullions are a property of the window type, so to have two different windows with different mullions, you'll need two window types. For your example, you could name the types 3052F and 3052R for Front and Rear.

I ran into a similar issue when setting up the databases for DCPlus. It becomes even more complex with DC12 if you really want to cover all of the possiblilities. See the image below for a sample of the setup that I am currently experimenting with. The variations are endless and somewhat daunting. I am trying to determine the feasibility of having all of the possible window/trim/muntin combinations databased but am unsure if it will be workable in the long run. :?

Time will tell, I suppose...