Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#26001 by Ben at TJB Architects
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09 am
On the attached JPG...I would really love to know how to clip the rafter along the horizontal soffit.

Boolean 3D operation of subtraction with downward extrusion is the solution I have seen in other programs.

Thoughts?
#26002 by Martell
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:27 am
Draw a horizontal slab, and rotate via x.

Martell
#26003 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:27 am
If you created your rafters using slabs, you can use the Slab, Edit command to move and add vertexes to conform to the soffit.

MFM
#26004 by Ben at TJB Architects
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 am
Ah, ok...didn't know that I could add vertexes in anything other than plan view. Thanks.
The only problem I see is that I can't snap to the intersection of the rafter and the soffit and so it's not precise.
My anal retentiveness does not like that... :lol:

EDIT: UG!...and I have to do it on both sides of the slab instead of one operation?
#26007 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 am
The first free update to DataCAD 12.01.00 will allow you to snap to the intersection of 3D entities ( either projected or world coordinates ).

MFM
#26009 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:57 am
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:
EDIT: UG!...and I have to do it on both sides of the slab instead of one operation?

If the rafter is a single slab, there should only be one vertex for both sides.

MFM
#26033 by Ben at TJB Architects
Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:47 pm
Well...I don't get it...

I can't get this to work at all.
#26039 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 pm
Send in the drawing Ben with the area in question centered.
#26041 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:48 pm
In the Section / Elevation view above, are you looking at more than one rafter ( i.e., slab )? If so, this might explain the problem.

MFM
#26045 by Ben at TJB Architects
Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:15 pm
Nope...only one Slab.
It seems that when I add a vertex in Elevation it adds one at both, top and bottom...if that makes sense. :?
#26060 by Paul Nida
Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:33 pm
My guess is that you are looking at the edge of the slab instead of the face. If that is the case you can't edit the edge, you also can't put a void in an edge. Since you created it with roof builder means you probably created it in plan view which would indeed mean that this is the edge. You will probably need to recreate it using a horizontal slab.
#26558 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:34 pm
Would anyone recommend purcahsing 3D Power Tools with V12? I am wondering if the 3D Knife command could help me create 3D Model Building Sections. I need to have a building section with rendered material surfaces on it. Clip Cube works great with the Shader but there are no materials that show up when using the shader. The O2C viewer doesn't seem to support clip cubes either. So I think the 3D knife could cut a 3D model that can then be viewed in O2C viewer with rendering.

Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Giuseppe
#26560 by Mark F. Madura
Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:47 am
Hello Giuseppe:

On the 3D Edit menu, go to Section and select Cut Line.

Click two points to define a section line through your model then click a point to define the direction of view.

Select 3D Knife to create a copy of your model that includes only the view side of your section line.

MFM