Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#26674 by Tony Blasio
Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am
In the Rendering Settings Dialogue you can copy all of the settings and paste them in a new material. Can we get this ability in the Wall, Door and Window Type Managers? There are times when I need a new wall type and would like to copy all of the settings of one type to the new one to then edit. I know I can do a Save As but this isn't always going to be a type that I want saved to disc, it may be just for this particular drawing.
#26691 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:20 pm
Hello AJ,

I'm all time interested in the subjects "smart" - materials & objects. However, I'm not so sure that I understood your suggestion.

Tony Blasio wrote:In the Rendering Settings Dialogue you can copy all of the settings and paste them in a new material. Can we get this ability in the Wall, Door and Window Type Managers?

In the case aren't you referring to Save As... a material over another ?
This is open in the Objects Managers, allowing you to make the change from any pre-assigned material to a new one.

There are times when I need a new wall type and would like to copy all of the settings of one type to the new one to then edit. I know I can do a Save As but this isn't always going to be a type that I want saved to disc, it may be just for this particular drawing.

This would behave as an edited Symbol, which can be stored exclusively in "this" drawing and not interferring in the original hard disk stored ?

I guess that it works like this today, since if you don't re-load a type it keeps with its "local" adjusments.

Would you like to elaborate a bit more over this ?

Thanks,
Miguel
#26695 by Tony Blasio
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:06 pm
Miguel,

If you go to define a new wall by using the new button on the wall manager and give it a name and set all the settings you want then hit apply. This is now a fully defined wall type that lives only in your drawing file, an internal wall type if you will. It will remain only there unless you hit Save or Save As, then it will be an external type as well as internal. There have been times where this is preferable to me rather than creating another external type.

Now to the heart of my request. If you go to the Rendering Settings dialgoe (View, Rendering Settings) there are handy little Copy and Paste icons right next to the New button. These let you quickly copy all of the settings for one material and paste them over another. I like to take one material that is close to one I need, copy the settings, click New and name my new material and then paste the settings into the new blank material. I can then tweak it out to be what I need at the time.

I think it would be very useful to have these copy and paste buttons in the Wall, Door and Window Type Managers to quickly create new doors and windows (internally) that I need for that specific job or drawing.
#26701 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:43 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:...Now to the heart of my request. If you go to the Rendering Settings dialgoe (View, Rendering Settings) there are handy little Copy and Paste icons right next to the New button. These let you quickly copy all of the settings for one material and paste them over another.

AJ,

This is unbelieveble (to me)!! I had never pay attention to this two small icons. But it works very well. Yes!! Thanks for the tip.

I think it would be very useful to have these copy and paste buttons in the Wall, Door and Window Type Managers to quickly create new doors and windows (internally) that I need for that specific job or drawing.

You got my vote for it. My full support. It will be a great help, indeed.

Thanks,
Miguel