Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#26708 by wvar
Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:50 am
Hi all

Is there a way to bind bitmap images into a dcad file. I recently deleted some bitmap files only to find that I now have orphans in my DCAD file.

I nearly all of my files have bitmaps of one type or another inserted into them.
#26740 by wvar
Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:35 pm
I would like to log the ability to bind bitmaps as a wish list. As mentioned before I nearly always use bitmaps in my files and these bitmaps can change over the life of the project.

How do DataCAD users manage bitmaps so that they don't get lost or deleted accidentally?
#26742 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:30 pm
Hello Walter,

Bitmaps are like any other XRef file -- I keep them in the local directory, and back them up with the drawing files. Backups can be restored, and then the orphans are "fixed".

Something that you could do to possibly avoid problems, is to name them with DataCAD and/or XRef and/or the project and/or the drawing name, that they are used for. Anything to make it harder to forget what it is used for, so that you don't delete it. :wink:
#26743 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:39 pm
wvar wrote:I would like to log the ability to bind bitmaps as a wish list. As mentioned before I nearly always use bitmaps in my files and these bitmaps can change over the life of the project.
This has been a wish of mine for a while too.

I handle the files like Neil does by keeping them in the jobs folder. Might want to create a sub-folder that contains all the images if you clean out your job folders often or if there are a lot of files.
#26818 by deliriousga
Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:00 pm
I think having the ability to bind them would be fine as an option, but not as the only function. Bitmaps can be huge and they will slow down the drawings tremendously if they have to be bound and can't be turned off.
#26820 by wvar
Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 am
deliriousga wrote:I think having the ability to bind them would be fine as an option, but not as the only function. Bitmaps can be huge and they will slow down the drawings tremendously if they have to be bound and can't be turned off.

I agree with you