Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#26764 by David Porter
Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:27 pm
I have found with v12, that when I copy an area of a drawing that had individual entities entered into the drawing (i.e. individual text notes and individually placed arrows) (CTRL C) and then paste that area onto a new drawing or onto a different area of the same drawing, the individually entered notes and arrows all get grouped together instead or remaining as separate entities.

I have this behavior whether I paste the items all to one layer or to their original layers. I have also found it to work this way whether Binding or not binding the information into the new file.

I thought I remembered with v11 that if I had entered individual entities on a drawing and then cut and pasted that information to a new drawing that it would paste into the new drawing and keep the individual entities attributes.

Did I recall incorrectly, is there a setting in v12 I am missing, or is the cut and paste function in v12 acting differently than it did in v11?
#26766 by David Porter
Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:41 pm
My mistake. I meant the CTRL E function where we can copy items to the clipboard and then use CTRL V to paste those copied items to the same drawing, to another drawing, to the active layer, or to the original layers.

I still have v11 loaded and tried this function with it. I was correct in my recollection that when using CTRL E and then CTRL V with v11, individual groups of elements retain their individuality when pasted. I then tried it again with v12 and the CTRL E and CTRL V operation automatically glops all of the individual groups of copied info into a single group when pasted. At least from what I am finding, that seems to be something that changed in v12.

I would prefer how v11 functioned in this regard.
#26767 by Tony Blasio
Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:54 pm
I noticed this today as well. I would vote for it to paste things in with their original groupings too.
#26829 by devinder
Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:05 am
Fixed for next update.

Additionally creating/exploding symbol would retain group information as well. Your existing symbols does not have group information, so all entities will be under 1 group when you explode them.
#26830 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:20 am
devinder wrote:Additionally creating/exploding symbol would retain group information as well. Your existing symbols does not have group information, so all entities will be under 1 group when you explode them.
Does this mean new symbols will remember their previous groupings on an exploded insert?
#26831 by devinder
Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:26 am
joshhuggins wrote:Does this mean new symbols will remember their previous groupings on an exploded insert?

Yes