Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#26839 by David Porter
Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:41 pm
I have noticed quite consistently that when I pull up a v11 drawing in v12, that my former GraphLt CHR font text has automatically changed to a much larger GraphiteLT TTF font. I found a way that it will change back but it requires that I perform that task on each drawing on each sheet of this file.

Is there a more automatic way that I can have all of this text go back to its original font?
#26844 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:32 pm
Datacad worked on a few font instances like this for the font CHR :arrow: SHX converters. Maybe send them (tech support) the font file and they can take a look at it and maybe update the font & converter also.
#26857 by devinder
Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:06 am
Isn't one font TTF and other CHR (or SHX)? If this is the case then all TTF fonts measure exact size from top to bottom whereas the CHR or SHX definition may not.
Example One foot Arial TTF when changed to One foot Romans.SHX will measure approx 9 inch from top to bottom (about 75% of Arial on Screen)
To fix your problem, you will need to adjust your TTF font accordingly to your SHX font.
#26872 by David Porter
Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:30 am
Not really, Devinder.

Try this. I just did and it worked to show this example. In v11, type out some text using the GraphLt font in chr not ttf. Save out that drawing. Pull that same drawing up in v12. The text you had typed now shows up as larger, Graphite Light ttf font. It does not show up with the GraphLt shx font that it should. The font will change back to the GraphLt font in shx but only if one uses the Change menu and goes through the steps to change the font style.

Yesterday, I had to work through 22 sheets of drawings for a project that I had created in v11 and was now working in v12 on because all of the text had done what I mention above.

The other strange thing I found with those 22 sheets is that not all of the GraphLt chr text showed up as the Graphite Light ttf font. Only some of it did. That would seem to further complicate figuring out why this is happening.
#26880 by devinder
Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:25 am
Hello David,
I see you had sent GrapLI__.chr and GrapLI__.shx to techsupport but you mention GraphLT.chr here in the forum. Are these the same fonts?
With the fonts you had sent, I am unable to reproduce the problem. Could you email the drawing as well.
#26882 by David Porter
Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:52 am
You're right. I did mean GraphLI and not GraphLT. I will send the drawing where this occurs to the DCAD Tech support e-mail address.
#26890 by devinder
Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:28 am
In DataCAD 11: The entity definition flag says it is TTF but does not have any TTF attributes containing data and thus classifies it as CHR.
In DataCAD 12: There is no more secondary check and thus stays as TTF.

Try this in DataCAD 11: Set your FontDialog to display CHR only and select any CHR font. Click OK to dismiss the dialog. Now do Identify - Set All on the text that displays as TTF and reopen the Font Dialog. It now show TTF only and also TTF display attributes are enabled. This shows it is infact a TTF but due to second test it displays classifies as CHR.

I am sending you a new DCAL macro for 12 to fix this font problem. You can simply run the macro. It will fix and regen the drawing in the end. Save the drawing or continue further. This macro will only run on 12.01.01.
#26910 by David Porter
Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Devinder,

I tried your instructions to the T and cannot get the font change fixed. In v12, I double clicked on the macro you had sent and nothing seemed to happen. I waited and waited and waited but no regen as you said would happen. No change back of the text. I had also gone through in v11 and did the chr only setting, etc. and do confirm the exact behavior you said I would see.

However, I think my problem is that the macro doesn't seem to be doing anything in v12. I double click the macro in v12 and nothing happens. No hard drive activity and no text changing back. You did say it would only work on v12.01.01. When I check the Help menu in my DCAD, it says I have v12.01.01.01. I only did a "check for update" the one time that we were notified that there was an update available. So, maybe this is why the macro doesn't do anything to change my v12 font.
#26923 by devinder
Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 am
I forgot to mention that you will have to do this in 12.01.01 immediately after you open DataCAD 11 drawing. Once the drawing is saved in DataCAD 12 version, this macro will not work.
I see you have used dhText macro. Do you remember if the text in question was also inputted using dhText macro?
#26927 by David Porter
Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:55 am
Yes, it probably was input using dhText. I use that for typing in all of my notes.
#26928 by David Porter
Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:58 am
If there was a fast way to create a macro to act like Mask so that all layers could be turned on and xxx.ttf fonts could be changed to xxx.shx font by turning layer search on and window'g in around all visible layers, that would provide a very quick fix for any drawing already pulled up and saved in v12 where the font conversion thing is a problem.
#26932 by devinder
Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:18 am
Updated macro on its way. Specify grapli__ (without extension) in the input box and it will only convert all finds to shx.
#26935 by Daniel Kaczor
Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 am
I have used Gedit since it was available to make "global" changes, especially to text items. It will change any chr or ttf font to chr, but, won't change chr to ttf. Since it was written for earlier versions of DataCAD, it knows nothing about shx.

It's still available at Cheap Tricks.
#26956 by David Porter
Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:32 pm
Devinder,

You get the genius of the week award with your text fix macro that you sent to me. It does fix all of the incorrectly read text that v12 pulls in from v11. You will save me oodles of time in getting all of the fonts back in order.

Thanks.
#26959 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:54 am
devinder wrote:Updated macro on its way. Specify grapli__ (without extension) in the input box and it will only convert all finds to shx.

Hi Devinder,

May I ask you if this macro will be put available, as an optional tool, on next DC 12 update ?

It would be really fine.

Thanks,
Miguel