Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1987 by deliriousga
Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:04 am
I'm having a problem opening files. None will open. I've tried closing & re-opening DataCAD, restarting, shutting down completely and still get the problem.

When I open the first file, I get an error message saying "DataCAD (internal diagnostics) fault 10 Error from: 736". If I leave DataCAD open and try to open another file, the file opens in the symbol browser. I can close and re-open DataCAD and get the fault code again on the first and all others open in the symbol browser.

I also tried closing the symbol browser once I got the second file opened in it, but as soon as you re-start DataCAD the symbol browser is open again. I have the latest update (11.06.00) installed.

Another guy in our office had the same problem last Friday, but his cleared up if he re-started DataCAD so it wasn't a big deal. I can't get past it for some reason.

I'll probably re-install next and go from there if nobody has any answers for it.

Thanks for any info you may have!
#1997 by deliriousga
Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:08 pm
I sent an e-mail to DCAD support about the problem right after I posted this and they had me fixed in no time. :D

In case you ever have the same thing happen, here's the actual problem and fix:

Problem - DataCAD is opening a symbol folder that has a corrupt symbol in it.

Fix - Copy your DCADWIN.INI file and paste it with a different name like DACADWINOLD.INI just in case you do something you didn't mean to do. Next, open the DCADWIN.INI file with Windows Notepad. Look for this:

[SymbolBrowser]
TemplateFile=
SymbolFolder=
Resizable Folder Browser=
BrowseType=

"SymbolFolder=" will have a folder path after it. That path would have the corrupt symbol. Change the path name to another symbol folder path so when DataCAD opens it's not trying to open the corrupt symbol right off the bat. Save the DCADWIN.INI file and then open DataCAD. Everything should be alright.

Finally, start pulling your hair out as you try and find the corrupt symbol by copying the whole folder somewhere else and deleting them one at a time until DCAD opens with that folder selected. :shock: