Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#27852 by Bev
Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:34 am
I don't get it. It seems I can only create a new wall type when not in Auto 3D, using Wall Style Manager. When I turn on Auto 3D, I get the Wall Type Manager. It does not display my new type, so I cannot use it. What am I missing?
#27854 by Tony Blasio
Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 am
The wall style manager is the old 2D wall system that has been with DataCAD for a long time. The Wall Type Manager is the new Smart Wall manager. You will want to create your new wall types in the Wall Type Manager is you are using Auto3D.
#27855 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:01 pm
Hello Bev,

The Wall Style Manager only works for the "old" 2D walls, and the Wall Type Manager is for the new "smart" walls, which are both 2d and 3D. So, if you created a 2D wall, then you have to turn off the "Auto 3D" toggle, and then use the Wall Style Manager.

IHTH
#27857 by Bev
Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:54 pm
I kinda had that part figured out. However, when I have Auto 3D toggled on, I cannot find a way to create a new wall type. I also cannot find a way to edit a wall type that has already been created. I've looked in the DataCAD 12 Reference Manual and that seems to just talk about the 2D walls. This is very frustrating to me.

Also, now that I drew some 3D walls (even though they're not the right width for my use), I cannot find a way to place a 3D door.
#27860 by Roger D
Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:16 pm
If you have the "Types" toolbar up, double click the icon next to the wall, door or window name. Should take you to the Wall Manager Window.

When in manager, to edit a wall type, pick the type, make the changes and pick apply. If you want the wall type save permanet for other jobs, you also need to do a save.

I have edited my DcadWin.mnu file so Ctrl-D and Ctrl-W allow me to insert doors and windows.

If you create a new wall and save it, you then need to load it and make it active also. Seems like if you create one and save it, it would also keep it in the drawing. Maybe a future patch.
#27893 by Bev
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:04 am
Thanks, but when I'm in the Wall Types Manager, I can pick the wall types that are there, but I cannot change the width of a wall.

When I select "New", I type in a name, but it does not let me make any changes. Perhaps I did something wrong when installing DataCAD 12? Here's what my screen looks like:

Any more ideas?
#27894 by Tony Blasio
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:18 am
The way the new walls work is that you set the width by telling DataCAD how far one line of the wall is from the previous one.

In your image there is a section called line properties with a Line 1 in a drop down box. This is the line you are drawing with or the control line. To set the width of the wall you need to use the drop down and set it to Line 2. Here you define how far it is from Line 1.

Mark from DataCAD posted some great how-to's in the DataCAD 12 Information section. Here is a link to his Smart Wall stuff:

http://forum.datacad.com/viewtopic.php?t=5504
#27898 by Bev
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:46 am
Thank you Tony for seeing where my problem was and for directing me to Mark's post. Thank you Mark for being very descriptive and going through step by step. I feel I'm on the right track now. :) Have a great day.