Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#27872 by artmanvt2000
Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 pm
I have been working with Datacad 12 for a little over a month and have found some of the new tools very helpful. But there a couple of items that, at least for now, are a big pain in the butt!!!

1) When I identify and "Set All" on a MText entity, one would think it would set your text size and other attributes to be the same of the entity I just identified, but it does not.

2) It would be really nice if MText was editted on the "drawing". I find myself questioning when and when not to abbreviate words. If it is possible to edit on the drawing would be really nice, it would be a great convenience when determining work length.

3) The auto 3D with "Smart Walls" could use some major upgrades. I still can't figure out how to change the width of a "Smart Wall". There could be some more "commercial" materials, i.e. metal siding and roofing and stucco's.

4) The cut and paste functions are loosing the associated groups THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!

Don't get me wrong there are a few improvements that are great!!

1) I love the fact that when using xref's, one can change the color and line type of an individual layer within the xref. I used to do the same thing by inserting multiple xref's of the same drawing.

2) The introduction of MText is also a great improvement, it just could use a few tweaks.

3) The symbol browser also has some great improvements.

4) There are several other little improvements that are great like the improved dimension control, pen tables per scale, and the added hatch patterns are a few of my favorites.

I don't know if some of my grievances are part of my own stupidity. If anyone knows how to fix my "issues", I would greatly appreciate any all comments.
#27873 by wwwylie
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:05 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:4) The cut and paste functions are loosing the associated groups THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!

I sent this same issue to tech support only to find out it is the individual drawing that causes it. Below is the response I received.

in an email Mark Toce wrote:Thanks for the example file. I tested it in 12.01.01 and was able to reproduce the problem. I then tried it in our current development build and it works correctly, so it looks like the problem has been fixed and will be corrected in the next update.
#27885 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:30 am
artmanvt2000 wrote:...1) When I identify and "Set All" on a MText entity, one would think it would set your text size and other attributes to be the same of the entity I just identified, but it does not.

I can confirm this behavior.

...2) It would be really nice if MText was editted on the "drawing". I find myself questioning when and when not to abbreviate words. If it is possible to edit on the drawing would be really nice, it would be a great convenience when determining work length.

This is an interesting suggestion, Arthur.
May be a toggle, for when you're looking only for the Contents edition, could allow the text to be edited on the drawing. It would be nice.

Thanks,
Miguel
#27892 by Paul Nida
Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:51 am
Miguel Palaoro wrote:
artmanvt2000 wrote:...1) When I identify and "Set All" on a MText entity, one would think it would set your text size and other attributes to be the same of the entity I just identified, but it does not.

I can confirm this behavior.

Mtext entities can use multiple sizes colors and fonts in the same entity so in this case, which one would be matched?

...2) It would be really nice if MText was editted on the "drawing". I find myself questioning when and when not to abbreviate words. If it is possible to edit on the drawing would be really nice, it would be a great convenience when determining work length.

This is an interesting suggestion, Arthur.
May be a toggle, for when you're looking only for the Contents edition, could allow the text to be edited on the drawing. It would be nice.

Thanks,
Miguel

You have my vote for this one.
#27899 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 am
Paul Nida wrote:Mtext entities can use multiple sizes colors and fonts in the same entity so in this case, which one would be matched?

Sorry, my fault Paul.
I had in mind (and tested it on) P-Text. I agree with you with M-Text it would be not so useful.

Thanks,
Miguel
#27953 by artmanvt2000
Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:51 pm
Migel,
That was my bad. I was refering to the PText and not the MText. Thank you Paul for noticing that I was referencing the wrong command.