Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#27945 by d_aguirre78
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:02 pm
Hello Everyone!

Does anyone know how to export VRML files from DataCad 11? I have tried it and no files get created in VRML format. Is there something I need to do ( prep file ) in order to create a VRML file?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, If anyone out there is using Bryce 5.0 to render... I'd like to know how you can import a DXF file because my program crashes each time I try to import a DXF.

Thanks.
#27948 by d_aguirre78
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:52 pm
I also noticed that when I went to make the VRML file that instead of the button saying "Save" it reads "Open" when you're prompted to create a name for the VRML file. I attempted to make exported files with other options such as DXF, RAY, DWG, and all read "Save". Perhaps this is a bug with DataCad.
#27954 by RPadgett
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:09 pm
If you have Sketchup (pro version only?), you can import your drawing into it and save then as a vrml file.
#28069 by d_aguirre78
Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:55 am
R Padgett,

I was hoping to get it done only with the two programs I have, but it seems that it won't be possible with DXF. I was hoping perhaps someone at DataCAD would address the VRML issue since it seems to be a bug that needs to be worked out.

Can you do me a favor and try to export to VRML? I want to see if your copy of DataCAD allows you to save it.

Thanks.
#28070 by RPadgett
Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:00 pm
I could not get a vrml export to work with Datacad
#28072 by Michael Olney
Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 pm
d_aguirre78 wrote:Also, If anyone out there is using Bryce 5.0 to render... I'd like to know how you can import a DXF file because my program crashes each time I try to import a DXF.

While I'm not familiar with Bryce, I do know that some of those types of programs have problems with DXF files that have 2D lines in them. Have you tried exploding all 2D lines, arcs, etc. into 3D polygons before exporting? You can use the "Mask - Entity" feature with "Explode" in the "3D Edit" menu to select only the 2D entities. Also, have you tried exporting something simple like a few slabs as DXF and importing that into Bryce?

If you have DataCAD 12 with the most recent update, you can export 3DS files from DataCAD and import that into Bryce.
#28179 by d_aguirre78
Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:35 pm
Michael,

Yes, I created a new file with no layers save for one... and I drew a simple slab and it didn't take. I read somewhere that Bryce doesn't recognize flat 2d DXF's. That's when I tried what you recommended and no cigar. :(

I'll look into exploding to see if that will work. Thanks for your feedback.

Daniel
#28182 by d_aguirre78
Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:48 pm
Michael,

I also tried the exploding, and it didn't take aswell. I guess the option of choosing a 3rd party is going to get exercised.

:)