Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#28382 by archplus
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:22 am
Our office has just installed approximately 20 seats of Datacad 12, and then uninstalled Datacad 11. Several of the stations no longer recognize aec files as Datacad files, while several others do. The only way to open files is to go into Datacad and select open, and then open the files through the open menu. When we double click on the files, they do not open in Datacad. Even if we right click and try to select Datacad from a list, Datacad does not show up as an available program. I would reinstall these workstations, but since we had Datacad 12 inherit Datacad 11 user preferences, this would cause lots of time to reset each individual's preferences. We are using Windows XP on all of our workstations. Has anyone else had this problem?
#28384 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:38 am
I haven't seen this problem yet, but have you tried installing the latest v.12 update? I think it should re-associate the files.
#28385 by ticomccr
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:53 am
You should be able to open any folder, select Tools/Folder options from the menu bar and then click on the File Types tab. In the "Registered file types:" window, scroll down to AEC, highlight it, and then select Change.

It should open up the "Open with" dialog box and allow you to select DataCAD. If not, then click on Browse and navigate to where you have DCADWIN.exe for DataCAD 12 and select it. Make sure that you check the box for "Always use the selected program..." and that should do it.
#28387 by archplus
Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:23 am
We had already run the update on all of the workstations right after the install, and all the other suggestions weren't working either. I tried running the update again, just for kicks, and low and behold it worked! I guess that the update had been run on these computers prior to having Datacad 11 uninstalled. Thanks for the help. This will save me lots of time.