Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#33215 by DBrennfoerder
Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 am
I don't do a lot of xrefs in my prelim work. When I do, it is usually a pretty simple import. One of my co-workers is having a problem with a file that takes 5min 26sec to plot from his machine. All our computers are networked. The plotter is equal to any computer. All job files are stored on one computer that is not used as a workstation. The file in question is only 199Kb. It is xref'd to a title block file, only 9Kb, and xref'd 7 times to the master floor plan file, which is 12,317Kb. His machine has 256M RAM, mine has 2G. I was going to hit up the boss for more ram for his machine, but my machine takes 7min 7sec to send the same file to plot, so I don't see RAM as the problem.

The master floor plan is referenced 7 times because of the need to include and exclude certain portions of the source data. However, several of the clip cube borders overlap and it appears that some of the data may be imported two or three times.

The image shows 6 clip cube boxes. The 7th xref is the key plan that is isolated on a separate layer. The drafting was done by someone not really into computer literacy and I believe the overlapping position of various clip cubes is causing the data overload.

Can I redo the clip cubes to reduce the plot time?

(wow, the image post ability is vastly improved - thanks)