Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#2372 by Jim Allen
Sun May 01, 2005 12:37 pm
We are having a problem with one comuter running Windows 2000 and DataCAD 11 LT. When we do a save, it is very slow, or even locks up DataCAD. The files are saved to another hard drive across our network.

We are all networked peer to peer, and have all of our project files on one Windows XP workstation on a second storage hard drive. That computer is running the full DataCAD 11 version. There are 2 other DataCAD 11 full versions also networked. All the DataCAD 11 full versions are not having any problems.

The network between the DataCAD LT computer and storage drive computer appears to work fine when I copy and paste a file from one to the other. So I don't think that is the problem. But when the file is on the local hard drive it saves all right. I have tried several files and have the same problem on that computer.

Does anyone have any suggestiosn? It seems like DataCAD LT is having trouble doing it's compression thing while saving across a network.

Jim Allen
#2375 by Neil Blanchard
Sun May 01, 2005 7:15 pm
Hello Jim:

I don't think LT compresses the AEC files? There was an issue with this in v11 (full version) early on -- is this the latest version of LT? I believe that you can do the same easy "Check for Update" as in v11.

Other than that, you may have to wait to hear from Mark Toce...
#2407 by Mark Toce
Mon May 02, 2005 3:33 pm
DataCAD LT 11 does not compress files - that feature is only in the full version.

There is a bit more going on behind the scenes when you save a file. Its not as simple as copy and paste from one location to another. The program has to perform checks on file names, available disk space, delete existing DBK files, rename existing AEC to DBK, create the AEC, remove U$R, ARF and ARB files etc... It could potentially take longer than saving a file with the full version since the files are not compressed.

What is the size of one of the files in question? How long does it take to perform a manual File\Save? Are there any other background processes or applications running?