Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#34165 by wvar
Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:20 pm
Can DataCAD use OpenType fonts. I have some OpenType Fonts (including Tekton Pro Ext) that can be used by other software but does not display in the DataCAD font menu.
#34175 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 pm
Datacad does support Open Fonts. They are basically TTF's Neil. If you open your C:\Windows\Fonts folder you should see some fonts with a O instead of a TT on the icons. I've never really looked to what the difference is. Here is what Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia wrote:OpenType is a scalable format for computer fonts (also sometimes known interchangeably as "typefaces"), initially developed by Microsoft, later joined by Adobe Systems. OpenType was first announced in 1996, with a significant number of OpenType fonts starting to ship in 2000–2001. Adobe completed conversion of its entire font library to OpenType around the end of 2002. As of early 2005, there were around 10,000 fonts available in OpenType format, with Adobe's library making up under a third of the total. As of 2006, every major font foundry and many minor ones were developing fonts in OpenType format.

History
OpenType is intended by Microsoft and Adobe to be the successor to the TrueType font format which was developed by Apple Computer and licensed by Microsoft, and the Type 1 ("PostScript") font format developed by Adobe.

Microsoft tried to license Apple's advanced typography technology, "GX Typography," in the early 1990s, and upon being refused developed its own technology, dubbed "TrueType Open," in 1994. [1] Adobe joined Microsoft in 1996, adding support for the type of outlines used in its Type 1 fonts, and the name OpenType was then used for the combined technologies.

Adobe and Microsoft continued to develop and refine OpenType over the next decade. Then, in late 2005, OpenType began the process of becoming an open standard under the International Organisation for Standardization (ISO), under the MPEG group which had previously adopted OpenType by reference. The new standard is essentially OpenType 1.4, with appropriate language changes for ISO, and is called the "Open Font Format." The initial adoption of the new standard was completed in March 2007, when OpenType became ISO Standard ISO/IEC 14496-22 [2].
#34176 by wvar
Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:55 pm
Thanks Joshhuggins
#34177 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 pm
Your welcome Walter. I forgot to ask if you made sure that the TTF option was checked in the Font dialog box. The Open Fonts have a TTF next to them in the dialog, which I guess is technically not right but I think it's probably fine for most people.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
#34179 by wvar
Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:52 am
Yes, both SHX & TTF were selected.
#47469 by gcpickering
Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 am
Can anyone suggest how to use an OpenType Font? I have several open type fonts that i would like to use in my drawings, and i can see that they are in my Datacad/Fonts/ folder (with an O listed next to the name) but they don't show up in my paragraph fonts list - any idea how to access them in my drawings? I have All checked so that it lists both SHX and TTF fonts.

Thanks!
#47472 by MtnArch
Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:57 am
They show up for me - just realize that what Josh stated above is true: they may show as TTF instead of O.
#47481 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:49 pm
TrueType and Open Type fonts need to be copied/installed to your C:\Windows\Fonts folder. The C:\Datacad 12\Fonts folder is where the SHX fonts need to be located.
#47502 by gcpickering
Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 am
Thanks for the info - after checking both locations, i see that the fonts are there, in both the datacad/font and windows/font files. But still not showing up as a choice in datacad. Is there a way to change the path name in datacad? or should i just move on and use a different font?!
#66749 by gfinn
Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 am
Funny... I just tried loading the very same font and got the same error 7 years later... which lead me to this thread.

No answer for Datacad 17 already?

Hugs
Gaz