Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#6409 by Brian Engebretson
Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:12 pm
I have recently been asked to use a program called “Squiggle” to give my DataCAD drawings a hand drawn look. (see below) It does a pretty good job, but it is a bit limited in its functionality. It’s no CAD program. I see cheap tricks offers some wiggle linetypes. If I combine this with some overshoots, would I be able to reproduce this effect without needing to leave DataCAD? Anyone doing this? Or is there a better way?

#6415 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:50 pm
There is a Wavy macro that I used to use in conjuction with the wiggle linetype, but I just tried it and it seems there is a bug now with the way it picks linetypes from the old dcadwin.lin file. Does anyone know what needs to be done to get this to work for Brian?
#6428 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:41 pm
Hello,

It is easy: you can use Overshoot on some/all of the lines, and you can use the Wiggle linetype. I also modified the Wiggle linetype to be a dashed wiggle and this is pretty easy to do.

P.S. Josh: are you trying to get your post count up? No fair cheatin'! :P
#6444 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:25 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:P.S. Josh: are you trying to get your post count up? No fair cheatin'! :P

Ouch! Like I could ever reach your Plateau! :wink: Nah, the darn internet connection at work has been buggin, causing double posts. Something to do with the IT dept working on Blackberry stuff. Thanks for the clean up admin!
#6452 by Brian Engebretson
Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:43 pm
Ah, I keep forgetting that we have the ability to create our own line types. I went ahead and made my own wavy line type. With overshoots turned on, I can get some pretty good results. The overshoots are a bit too consistent, but I can play with them and get the effect that I am looking for. Now for the next step, does anyone know of a program that can apply color to look like water colors or color pencils? Everything that I have seen seems too clean and precise. Probably wishful thinking, but I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks again.
#6454 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:53 pm
The wavy macro does work to give you random overshoots. You can set a min and max value for the randomness of the overshoots. I don't remember where I got it though :roll: I don't see it in the cheap tricks listing. If someone can confirm if it's freeware, I'll email it to you.
#6468 by Dick Eades
Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:06 pm
I once had some good results by xreffing the drawing and applying the wiggle llinetype as a highlight. I didn't do the overshoots,though.
#6471 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:02 pm
Unless Squiggle has changed (I haven't used it since V1.06), it will take a drawing (DWG or DXF) and create a PLT or HPGL file which - based on some parameters that you set - would give you either a very rough (and "squiggley") or fine hand-drawn (with a few slight jiggles, overshoots and pen returns) output that you could then send to the printer/plotter. It does NOT (or did not) change the actual cad file.

You can check it out here: http://www.aay.com/squiggle.htm

I personally think that you can achieve something close to this with the Wiggle linetype, overshoots and the Wavy macro (if it works with V11). You'll have to just play with the Wiggle linetype scale and the Wavy settings to get the result that you want.
#6472 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:08 pm
As for the watercolor/pencil effect, there has been a thread on the Sketchup forum (look here: http://www.sketchup.com/forum/read.php? ... 07&t=24207 and here: http://www.sketchup.com/forum/read.php? ... 06&t=25706) to learn more about how this Sketchup user creates some amazing stuff, and what he's inspired other Sketchup'rs to toy with. I think that you might be able to apply some of his principles to outputting some Dcad stuff! It's know around the Sketchup forum as the "Dennis Technique" or the "Dennis Method".

Good luck!
#6476 by Tony Blasio
Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:13 am
joshhuggins wrote:The wavy macro does work to give you random overshoots. You can set a min and max value for the randomness of the overshoots. I don't remember where I got it though :roll: I don't see it in the cheap tricks listing. If someone can confirm if it's freeware, I'll email it to you.

Josh,

Isn't Wavy part of DataCAD's Macro Suite? Along with DC Sprint & Blocker.
:?
#6477 by Brian Engebretson
Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:53 am
Thanks for that find Alan. The renderings they are doing are outstanding. I’m going to have to look into that a bit more. Now if the bosses will just spring for SketchUp and PhotoShop then give me time to play, I might be able to fool people into thinking I have some artistic ability in me somewhere. :D
#6479 by WizArtist
Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:24 am
Corel Painter IX can provide you with some pretty true watercolor effects. I've had pretty good success with Corel PhotoPaint as well though Painter can provide you with more sophisticated tools. Adobe Photoshop would work as well too. It's all a matter of masking. You would, of course, have to convert to raster.

Below is a PhotoPaint sketch I did just playing around

Image[/url]