Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#80205 by Roger D
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:49 pm
Imported a dwg file, many symbols with many attributes that I do not need to display the attributes.
1. Is there a general setting to turn off the display of all symbol attributes?
2. Is there a way to strip the symbols of attributes during the import dwg, or open dwg file?
3. Is there a macro out there than can do this?
#80206 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:36 pm
None of these that I am aware of. Only thing I know to do is edit the symbols and delete the attributes or move them to a new off layer inside the symbol if you need to keep them. Hopefully it is not a drawing where every single symbol is unique. I hate those kinds of drawings. :x
#80236 by dhs
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:34 pm
3. Is there a macro out there than can do this?

Hi Roger,
Just reading this post now. My first thought was to check Joe Sosnowski's Attribute Manager macro to see if it did this, but although it would offer an easier way to edit the values of the attributes it does not allow you to delete them. It would be a pretty easy task to write a macro to do it though, so let me know if you are still looking for a way to delete the attributes and I'll see if I can throw something together for you.
#80240 by Roger D
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:09 pm
I don't know if I have seen Joe's Attribute manager, but it would be useful in the future.
All I do to edit the Attributes one at a time is run my SA command Aliias

[sa]
comment=Change Symbol Attribute
alias=^170#^$^
#80242 by dhs
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:01 pm
I don't know if I have seen Joe's Attribute manager, but it would be useful in the future.

I use Joe's macro a bit to examine/modify attributes when doing macro development.
It will list all of the attributes in the drawing (which you can filter by type - e.g. you could show only symbol attributes). The attributes are listed in alphabetic order but not otherwise grouped (e.g. if you had multiple symbols with 'Cost' attributes the cost attributes would be grouped together rather than the attributes being grouped by the symbol they belonged to).
I'm just having a better look at it, and and it doesn't appear to associate the attributes with particular symbols at all, so not sure how useful it would be to you (I've mainly used it for drawing attributes and for entity attributes which it can associate with particular entities).
Should you wish to look at Joe's macro it is available on my web site.