Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#81424 by Joseph Baron
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:35 pm
Way back when there used to be DataCAD Sample Drawings installed with the software and I'm looking for current ones that show how basic architectural plans are setup using the current state of DataCAD for modeling and smart entities and symbols, etc., etc.

If I were trying to give someone example DataCAD drawings for them to train with to become familiar withe DataCAD where could I find these?
#81425 by dhs
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:36 pm
Hi Joseph,

I hoped that somebody else would reply to your question with information on such drawings, but as far as I know there are not any. There is however a Smart Entities Tutorial that you should find in DataCAD's Help folder.

Rgds,
David H.
#81426 by Joseph Baron
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:43 pm
Yes thanks David I'm aware of the written tutorial.

I was a little surprised to not find any example DataCAD drawings, which would be very helpful for someone that is not familiar with all the latest DataCAD stuff but looking to learn.
#81427 by dhs
Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:04 pm
would be very helpful for someone that is not familiar with all the latest DataCAD stuff

... to some extent that describes me. If you have been using DataCAD over the various releases then it is probably pretty easy to learn the new stuff incrementally with each new version. But I was totally absent from the DataCAD community for many years (between versions 11 and 19) and was surprised to find even the instruction manual had largely not been updated; in many cases you had to refer to the What's New file for instructions on the latest features that weren't included in the main manual (that was the case when I returned to DataCAD 19 - not sure if that has been addressed in the last couple of releases).

I guess if I was actually using DataCAD to produce drawings then I would have had to make the effort to learn the new stuff. I am aware of most of the new features, but it just seems too difficult to try to learn how to use them in many cases because of a lack of adequate training material and documentation. Unfortunately I expect that is an obstacle to new users taking the program up.

Regards,
David H.
#81428 by Joseph Baron
Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:13 pm
dhs wrote:Unfortunately I expect that is an obstacle to new users taking the program up.

Exactly.
#81429 by MtnArch
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:25 pm
This isn't limited only to DataCAD - it seems to be a common malady within CAD software, whether it's Dcad, BricsCAD, Vectorworks, etc.
#81437 by Mark Bell
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:26 am
Joseph Baron wrote:Way back when there used to be DataCAD Sample Drawings installed with the software and I'm looking for current ones that show how basic architectural plans are setup using the current state of DataCAD for modeling and smart entities and symbols, etc., etc.

If I were trying to give someone example DataCAD drawings for them to train with to become familiar withe DataCAD where could I find these?

If you type in "DataCAD Videos" in Google, then switch to the videos tab, there are a series of beginner tutorials by Alternate Angle (India) which would probably get someone not used to the software up to speed with the basics and some of what it can do. MM also produced some more advanced videos, I think between v12 - v15 which are useful to know for the various topics covered, but unfortunately, the quality isn't always the best as some were recorded live at DBUG. Again, these are available via Google. You could also try looking through here - viewforum.php?f=65 - I'm not sure what is still active, but perhaps worth a look.
There's also a number of books produced covering the basics you note above - type "DataCAD Books" in Google to see them. There was a tutorial book of an old school house which came with the DataCAD manual up to around v11 or when everything went to downloads. Copy inserted below of just the 2D portion of the tutorial in PDF:

(464.76 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
#81438 by Joseph Baron
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:32 am
Mark Bell wrote:There was a tutorial book of an old school house which came with the DataCAD manual up to around v11 or when everything went to downloads.

Thanks for the info Mark.

We had stuck on DataCAD 10 for multiple years then made the jump to 16 and subsequent updates and I've not had a need for sample drawings until now.

I appreciate everyones response.
#81443 by Mark Bell
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:14 am
The info sent through is pretty basic and useful for beginners focusing on 2D drafting but doesn't really showcase the potential of what DataCAD is capable of. The main thing with the smart entities is you need to invest time creating your own database of walls, doors and windows. We've done this over years and simply create what is needed on a project by project basis. In most situations it only takes a couple of minutes. The key is to establish a workable nomenclature for the various file types. My database is pretty messy as it includes a lot of trial and error examples as I got to understand what they can do. The smart entities, is really what has kept my current practice, and past practices with DataCAD, even though progress as slowed to a snail pace, what is there does work and is a big time saver, especially when you continue the 3D/2D model from concept through to documentation drawings. I'm not a big believer in full BIM and think DataCAD's midway approach is a good balance without needing to model everything down to 3D nuts and bolts as I've seen on some BIM drawings. I've found the easiest way to learn is simply open a blank drawing,, click the '=' key to turn on Walls (make sure Auto3D in the Architect menu is on so smart entities are used in lieu of the older multi 2D lines option), pick a Wall Type and draw. Go through the What's New PDF starting around DataCAD X3 as the earlier releases focused more on these newer features. DataCAD includes some samples American doors/windows/walls to start off with.
#81448 by Joseph Baron
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:14 pm
Mark, thanks for the detailed response & your time.

The Revision History probably is the one file I rely on heavily (as most do) to keep up with or refer to when searching out the latest capabilities.

There's a lot in DataCAD I have learned over the years just by 'clicking' through things to see what it is when time permits, being involved with 2D 'Shop Drawing' architecturals & NC part production drawings in DataCAD for years.

I guess it surprises me a bit that with the great progress that DataCAD has made over the years that there's not a full set of example drawings showing those 'smart' and 3D capabilities to help 'sell it'.
#81459 by Mark Bell
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:54 pm
If you have a browse through the DataCAD / Downloads page - https://www.datacad.com/download/index.html it includes all the manuals including a Smart Entities Tutorial under DataCAD X3 which may be of use.