Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#8913 by Heinrich
Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:48 pm
We like to use the ‘text scale’ option for notes and dimensions for the obvious reasons. I finally remembered that I can change the definitions of the text sizes, so that I don’t have to type in 0.0.1/8 or 0..3/16 every time I want to change text sizes. I went into the settings menu and changed the lower sizes (12’-0”, 8’-0” etc…) to the sizes we use most and saved them as the Dcadwin.dis file. The problem is, when I open an older drawing, it continues to show the original definitions even though that file has been replaced with my new definitions.
What’s going on?
How can it continue to call up on sizes that no longer exist in a file?
What can I do to get it to read the new definitions every time I open an older/existing drawing?
TIA

-Redd
#8920 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:07 pm
Hi Redd,

In the file where you changed the distances, you can then Save out the list. Then in the other files, you can Load the list in. (This is all done in the Settings/Edit Defs menu...)
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#8921 by Heinrich
Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 pm
Neil,
Yeah, I know about loading the file back into each individual drawing. I just figured if I replaced the default definitions, when I start DCAD again, it would read them instead of the originals. Therefore, keeping me from having to load them in each time I open an older drawing; Or from having to take the time to load it into all my old drawings (days and days that would take).

I already loaded it into my default drawing, so any new work will be fine.

-Redd
#8990 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:10 pm
Hello Redd,

This possibility to have a constant re-loading of the defaults, each time you open a file, would bring lots of troubles if you have several settings, what is the usual in any professional office.

Imagine that someone creates a new default for whatever reason, and name it with any of the default names.

What would happen to all your legacy from older drawings ?

I'd not prefer not to be around your office! :twisted:

Thanks,
Miguel
#9091 by Heinrich
Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:59 pm
That is a good point Miguel.
In my office however, we only have 2 CAD operators and we all use the same sizes, scales etc…so having to constantly load those sizes/scales gets very tiresome.

-Redd
#9110 by Ted B
Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:59 pm
I find for text sizes, fonts that the "match", "properties" command is a great short-cut for text. Though I find the arrow properties need to be watched as it's unreliable for arrow "aspect" at-times.
#9111 by Greg Blandin
Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:01 pm
I do believe that drawing files retain all their old information regardless of whether a setting has been changed. I think you're stuck with changing each older drawing.