Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3241 by Leigh
Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:10 pm
I am using the latest Dcad 11.07 update.

I emailed a sample drawing to a prospective client that wants me to do a bunch of small homes for him. I used dwg2000 to transfer the file, but the problem is that when this client opened the file all the layers were on. He does not want to spend time sorting layers into views. He wants me to send the dwg in one file so that when he opens it all he has to do is open page "1" and it is his sight plan. Open page "2" and it is his floor plan. Etc .

The only way I know how to do this is to create "views" by grouping my layers. Each of these views is a series of layers set up so that it can be printed as a page. For some reason he can not or does not have the capability to find these views in this drwg. He is using Autocad 2002. but asked me to send a Dwg2000 translated file.

I know I can make separate files for each drwg, but this is not acceptable to him. All the pages for one house must be in one file. Hopefully I can have an answer for him by monday.

Is this a simple problem to solve or am I making it difficult because it is friday and I'm 1 card short of a full deck.
#3243 by MtnArch
Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:04 am
OR ....

Plot each view as a PDF and combine them into one PDF file (via full-blown Acrobat or others previously discussed on the DBUG forum and this forum).

HTH ...
#3278 by Steve Clark
Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:40 pm
Unless I am missing something, it sounds like you have a difficult client. I don't think you can give him(her) exactly what they ask, which sounds like paperspace, which the two programs don't translate. If this is that important to the the client, you have a problem.
I have used a text(email)list of "on" layers for each GTV with my translations. It has been satisfactory for my clients. Every time a new file is created, they have to set these up, as you would when you got their new file.
When a file is updated, the GTV's can be saved by copying the layers into DCad. Layer states should work similarly for autocad.
Actually, it may work best to have the translated cad file, be xreffed into a file for you where you have GTV's set up and their ACad file with their page layouts set up. You would only do it once for each drawing file. Any time a new layer is added, you have to reset all views, much easier in DataCad than AutoCad.
I hope this is decipherable(and correct).

Steve