Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3391 by Wolfgang2005
Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:07 am
I was wondering if there is anyway I could scan an old drawing and place it into datacad v10 to edit
#3395 by Wolfgang2005
Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:26 am
thank you but i am trying to do it for free and i would like it today not in like 4 days i think they said. but thank you
#3418 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:19 pm
For free and today, oh if everything was that easy :mrgreen:
#3421 by Sinha
Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:08 pm
Hi,
When you scan a dwg, it becomes a sort of bitmap. Easiest is to trace over it.
You can also try a software called "Wintopo" and it is free!!! It has a trace function. I tried it before...works but will take you a while to clean it up.

My best suggestion is to just import as a bitmap in D11 then trace over it.
#3428 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:44 pm
Hello:

The trick is to be able to scan it in the first place -- how big is the drawing, and how big is your scanner? After you get it as an image, then tracing it in DataCAD is the best way to go.

If it is too big to scan, or it is too complicated to trace easily -- then the 4 days and the couple of C-notes are going to look cheap! :wink:

[Edit: As Miguel says below, if you can get it scanned by a service, this can often just be $10-20 and well worth it!]
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
#3442 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:30 am
Hello Wolfgang,

I've done some experiences along with this scanning. If you only want to scan, and receive it in raster image it is NOT so expensive, but if you would want to vectorize it. It is really expensive and too slow.

In general it is too much expensive and helps just less then you would like to.

The lines never are in the right place, dimensions and scales would vary a lot from the apropriate.
I had to redo almost everything. Took too long time to get it. I decided never think about this 'solution' anymore.

The only usefulness is to scan raster images and put them as an utilitary background to the drawing sheet, and trace over it, just on only the parts that should contribute for the object.

Hope this helps in some way,
Miguel