Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3532 by boofredlay
Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:09 am
I am new to DataCAD so pardon me if this is an odd question.
I have done a building in SketchUp and exported the 2d elevation to dwg. I opened it in DataCAD no problem. However, I notice there are "grips" or small squares at each line endpoint. I zoom in and they are at the same size on the screen, not enlarged (if that made any sense?)

Why is this occouring? Is it because the lines are not "welded" to each other?

I have no plans on using this file, I am just trying different things to get used to the program.

Just curious.
#3534 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:30 am
Datacad doesn't have grips like autocad. Most of the time in Datacad you pick your edit fuction like move or copy and then use the EGAFM (Entity, Group, Area, Fence and Mask) tools to pick which points on the entities you want to edit. There has been talk about dynamic tools which could use a "grip" like system but I doubt we'll see anything soon. If you are really new to Datacad here's a previous post on some resources to help you get started.

http://forum.datacad.com/viewtopic.php?t=313
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#3535 by boofredlay
Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:36 am
Thanks Josh.
I have actually gone through the tutorial. Not really helpful in my opinion.
I would like to get my hands on a couple of more tutorials but they all seem to be for sale.

Why are these squares showing up on my drawing if there are no grips in DataCAD?

Again, just curious.
#3538 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:52 am
They are probably insertion points from symbols maybe?
#3539 by MtnArch
Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:53 am
I think what you are seeing is a Polyline, which would have vertexes that show up.

I haven't tried this (Sketchup to Dcad) so this is just a wild guess.
#3550 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:39 pm
Can you zoom into a corner a bit more. Could it be that your overshoots are turned on to a small factor that is causing it. You can toggle overshoots by hitting your - (minus key) or Shift+Minus key depending if your caps lock is on. Or go to Utility, Display, and toggle Overshoots on/off there. Then hit U to regen the screen. Let us know if that works.
#3553 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:45 pm
Hi Eric:

Those sure look like Polyline vertices. Try this:
  1. From the Edit menu select 3D Menus
  2. Select Settings
  3. Turn off DrawMrks
  4. Press 'U' to regen the display list

Hope that helps,
Dave