Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3630 by erez
Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:27 am
i mast plot it in 1 hour ....
plz how can i convert cd8 or 7 files to plt files ???
#3631 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:47 am
Hello:

You say you have "DC8" files -- do you mean that they came from DataCAD 8? If so, is the extension on the files DC5? And I take it that you do not have DataCAD -- and that you cannot get PDF's or PLT's from the party that gave you the DC5's?
#3632 by erez
Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:55 am
i have datacad 8 and it save its files as dc5.
but if i want to plot it i need to save it as plt file.
how can i save it as plt file????
#3633 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:34 am
Hello:

You would have to set up a printer to plot to a file (instead of a port). But it is probably easier and much better to install a PDF printer on your system and use that -- PDF's are WYSIWYG!

http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

Download and install the PDF995 Printer Driver and that will plot PDF's based on your plotter set up. :)
#3634 by erez
Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:41 am
i dont need to plot it as pdf
i need to save my drawing as plt file. but i dont know how to do it

HOW CAN I SAVE IN DATACAD 8 MY DRAWING AS *.PLT ?????
#3637 by Graeme
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:39 am
Set you your quick layout where you want it then all you need to do is click "To File". Then select where you want it to save.
#3638 by erez
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 am
i need to plot my drawing in a ploter that can plot only "*.plt" files
and my drawing is a *.cd5 file

how can i save my drawing as *.plt file (not *.dc5 file!!!) ?? so i will be able to plot it in that ploter
#3639 by erez
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:58 am
i done it !!!!

thanks all for the help!!!!
#3646 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:46 pm
Hello Erez,

Now that you have 'extinguished' the fire, we can go back to the begining.

PLT is not a type of conversion file, nor another drawing format. PLT is a generic denomination of a PLoTing file.

PLT is the way the plotter do understand what is drawn in a drawing sheet.
When you choose a printing machine you set it up to your computer via a program that understands both, the drawing editor and the printing routine of the printer (plotter). This is the printer "Driver".

So, all you got to do is to give to the plotter, the right orders, as in ancient days was told: pen up, pen down, run the paper forward, run the paper backward, etc.
What the PLT file does is roughly this.

You have not instructed the forum colleagues about which was your plotter and which is your Windows version. This informations would help a lot, and make easier all the communication. I've noted you were near to 'desperate', because people was not understanding your problem.
In fact all the guys were very interested to help you, but they couldn't in full.

In sequential steps you can do the following:

1) Obtain the driver software from the plotter manufacturer, in the updated version to 'your' plotter, for the Windows version you're using;
2) Enter on Windows/Start "Configuration" Printers -> Add new printer and configure the plotter with the "Door" as [File].
3) Entre on DataCAD 8 and in the Plotter menu access the "Configuration" option choosing the configured plotter to print;
4) Choose the paper size and exit Configuration dialog;
5) Enter in "Quick Layout" option and put the drawing extends into the paper size, and under the "Pen Table" menu, set the adjustements for colors and pen width;
6) With the option "Preview" ON, enter on "F1 Print/Plot" and see the result checking the informations;
7) If all is OK, just hit on "Print" and name the printing file (name.PLT), or, exiting the 'Preview' window, hit "F3 To File", and your PLT is done.

The problem with a PLT file is that you can't verify if it was all right or not. You will only know it after the printing is done. Can be too late.

As Neil Blanchard has suggested above, if you can find a PDF driver, you will be able to get the drawing sheet in PDF format, which will allow you to see and check the results in your display, and independently from the printer/plotter to be used to print the drawing.

I really hope this helps. Be welcome to our DataCAD Forum. I hope to see you again by here.

Thanks,
Miguel