Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3660 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:14 pm
Hello:

You'll need to give us the details about how the v10 stuff is set up? Are you on a network, or a local drive? What are the paths to the templates, and to the symbols? Are the templates set up using absolute paths?

Have you looked in to the Symbol Browser in v11? How big is your office?
#3706 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:28 pm
Hello Juve,

Just in case you can't answer all Neil's questions, perhaps you could make some movements to arrange your problem.
Some highlights: In DataCAD 11 you use no more templates. You access directely all your symbols using Symbol Browser. In DC 10 you had two folders, "\Sym" for symbols (.sm3) and "\Tpl" for templates (.tpl). In DC 11 all your symbols will be stored in a single folder named "\Symbols" , and symbols received a new format and a new extension (.dsf).

Steps:

1) Copy all the Symbol and Templates folders from V10 that you have created, to the V11 installation, exactely in the position as they are in DC 10. Obviously you will need to create new folders "\Sym" and "\Tpl" on the root of DataCAD 11, because they are not set in V 11.
(Note: According to Neil's warning, if you are using 'absolute paths' this will not work. Just in this case, ask for additional instructions.)

2) Using the 'old' [Template] MENU you will enter in all templates you have copied into DC 11 installation. Just once. It is enough. Doing this DataCAD will create automatically a "copy" of each symbol in its native folder, with the new format (and extension) .DSF.

3) From there you can realocate, using Windows Explorer, each and all DSF symbols in "\Sym" sub-folders to other places, rearranging your symbol structure.

4) A good idea is to erase all symbols with extension ".sm3" from the DataCAD 11 installation. You will not need them any more.

Hope this helps.
Miguel
#3708 by joshhuggins
Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:38 pm
Miguel Palaoro wrote:...In DataCAD 11 you use no more templates. You access directely all your symbols using Symbol Browser. In DC 10 you had two folders, "\Sym" for symbols (.sm3) and "\Tpl" for templates (.tpl). In DC 11 all your symbols will be stored in a single folder named "\Symbols" , and symbols received a new format and a new extension (.dsf)...

Quick note before you go moving everything around this weekend.. While this is true that you can only use the symbol browser (which is my prefered method too :wink: ) you can still use the same template/symbol relationship that we had with v.10. This might be important to you if your templates are setup with certin display orders piped symbols and other settings. To give you a better answer, please provide more info like in Neil's post and I'm sure we can give you a few options and ideas to help you get the most out of your symbols! Have a good weekend! Also there are a few other tricks that you can do to get your symbols and converted over to the dsf symbol format, so don't go erasing symbols just yet :shock:
#3711 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:48 am
joshhuggins wrote:...so don't go erasing symbols just yet :shock:

Sorry Josh. It is my fault if was not clear.

I didn't say "go erasing symbols". I did say just that "after" have converted the "COPIED" symbols from DC 10 to DC 11 installation, he can erase all the .SM3 that are "in the DC 11 installation".
I wouldn't ever suggest to erase his original symbols.

The kind of question formulated took me the understand that "Juve" has never done a piped symbol. That's why I tried to simplify as most.

Thanks anyway,
Miguel