Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3663 by csteidel
Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:53 pm
Back in DataCAD 10, when we used templates, I had alt key shortcuts that set fixed rotation for symbols to 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees:

S^:^f4^s3^s3^f1^s0
T^:^f4^s3^s3^f8^s0
U^:^f4^s3^s3^f0^s0
V^:^f4^s3^s3^s2^s0

Now in DataCAD 11, I am trying to accomplish the same thing with the symbol browser but I can't seem to get it to work...

S^:^À^Á^f1^s0
T^:^À^Á^f8^s0
U^:^À^Á^f0^s0
V^:^À^Á^s2^s0
(where À & Á are alt-0192 and alt-0193 symbol dynamic rotate on & off)
Help! Thanks in advance!
#3672 by joshhuggins
Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:27 pm
Well I found one way to do it. It's kind of messy, but it works. It uses a small blank template I just statashed on my C:\ drive but, the weird thing is the templates name is test.tpl, but in orded to get it to work I had to add an additional "t" in front of the name for some reaseon. If I didn't Datacad would report the est.tpl did not exist, do you want to create it. I'll report this to the beta team. But what this guy does is quickly opens a small blank template, sets to rotation in the templates and that same rotation is used for the symbol browser too (which I didn't know). Once you get the blank template stashed somewhere I would open it and set it's divisions to 1x1, and then probably set it to hidden so it's doesn't get moved. Other than this, and unless there is a code that is not documented I couldn't see how to change the rotation settings via the symbol brower. I'm sure over time these types of settings will be added to the code lists, but moving to these delphi driven tools will mean a lot more codes will need to be added. Hope this helps ya get what you need.

Z^t^C:\ttest$^S3^S3^90$^Â^:^
//Symbol Insert Rotate 90*
#3677 by joshhuggins
Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:40 pm
Little more on this, seems that only if the template name starts with the letter "t" that you have add an additional letter "t". I changed the template and code so the small template was called best.tpl and it worked fine without the extra "t". Weird.
#3752 by csteidel
Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:12 pm
Thanks Josh
Your solution worked but FYI here is another solution from Tech Support

"The Symbol Browser is a toolbar, so there is no left hand menu
associated with it. Once you select a symbol from the browser window,
the left hand menu switches to the symbol insertion menu; it is at
this time that you could invoke a keyboard macro to set the rotation
values.

This is different from using Templates, since the Template command has
a corresponding left hand menu to can enter whenever a template is
open. Because the Symbol Browser is a toolbar, there is no
corresponding menu. The menu does not appear until you select a
symbol to place in the drawing.

Set up the keyboard macros as follows:

S^f5^f5^f1^s0
T^f5^f5^f8^s0
U^f5^f5^f0^s0
V^f5^f5^s2^s0

To use them, select the symbol to place first, then invoke the
keyboard macro to set the desired rotation angle, then place the
symbol.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Mark A. Toce
DATACAD LLC Technical Support"
#3755 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:36 am
Yeah Mark's way is the way to go, much cleaner. Well just glad you got what ya needed :D