Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3715 by brookefox
Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:31 pm
I am working with a test drive DC 11.06.00. Drawing size apparently is at the size limit allowed, I think, owing to the .arf and .arb sizes rather than the aec size: .aec = 707 kb, with the .arb and .arf at about 5mb (when present). Even with layer search on, I cannot erase drawing entities in an effort to reduce the .aec size. Is there something obvious I might be neglecting?
#3716 by Tony Blasio
Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:43 pm
You can't erase any entities? Is your Layer Search On or Off? If off you can't erase anything except enities on the Active Layer. Check to see if it is on or off.

Also do you have any locked layers?
#3717 by brookefox
Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:57 pm
Even with layer search on and no layers locked am I unable to erase.
#3718 by brookefox
Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:02 pm
I can change the entity props and ID them fine, but DC won't recognize them to erase.
#3719 by brookefox
Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 pm
I was able to erase whole layers through the layer manager and thus to free up some allowable drawing size so that I could then edit entity by entity. Seems to be an allowable size limitation....Doesn't seem fair given a supposed 5 mb limit when my drawing size is 700 kb.
#3720 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:58 pm
Hello:

There is a difference in the AEC file size, and the "working" size: the AEC is compressed (about 10:1), while when you are working on the file, the swap file has to be decompressed. I think the fact that you saw the ARF (auto recovery file) was exactly at 5MB, shows that you were actually over the limit.

I think that LT has a 15MB limit, and the full version is 1024MB, or something huge like that?
#3726 by brookefox
Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:16 pm
Thanks for that explanation, Neil. I'll have to slim down; firstly by symbolyzing or xrefing that 7000 line drop mesh. I imagine that will help though I'm not clear on how erasures, purges, blocking effect file size. Is there a best sequence to accomplish the goal of file size reduction? I assume that xrefing significant drawing components will reduce drawing size significantly.
#3728 by Tony Blasio
Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:25 pm
You are on the right track. XREFs and SYMs go a long way to minimizing the file size. Keeping your drawing near absolute zero also helps alittle.

You can also do a Purge, however, DC11 automatically does this each time you Save & Exit.
#3768 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:36 am
brookefox wrote:...I'm not clear on how erasures, purges, blocking effect file size...

Hello Brooke,

Every 3D entity with curved surface adds a lot of entities and required space to the file.
Instead of having a 7000 line drop mesh, try to make it smaller.
Or, use a minimal detail in the general (around) area, and increase the details in the near area closer to the object you target.

Of course, you shouldn't forget that DataCAD full version is the right solution for any of your problems.

Thanks,
Miguel
#3782 by brookefox
Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:21 pm
I tried mutiple mesh settings and deleted the drops which seemed lacking. The retained one I have now exported and xref'ed, thus gaining a very little work room. A trial is a trial, I just didn't expect to bump into this ceiling so soon.

Thanks, Miguel.