Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#3885 by kubowarch
Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:32 pm
I'm using DataCAD 9 and I'm trying to import a DWG that uses xrefs. When I import there are parts of the drawing that do not show in DataCAD, does anyone know what I can do to make this import correctly?
#3886 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:38 pm
Hello & welcome,

If they did not also send you the XRef'd DWG's, then that is why things are not showing up. You have to get those files in order to do anything. I don't know how the DWG import program handles them -- whether it can "reconstitute" the XRef's or not? But, maybe you could either reconstruct the XRef's (once you have imported all the files), or you might be able to copy and paste things together -- it depends on what you need this for.
#3889 by MtnArch
Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:56 pm
No, DataCAD's import program doesn't (and won't) import them automatically. You'll have to reconstruct them yourself.
#3890 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:09 pm
You will need to import each file (assuming you have them all). Then try and determine which were the XREFs and which had the XREFs. You can probably get help on this from whomever sent you the DWGs.

Then insert the XREFs into the files they needed. When you import them don't use the Move to Origin setting. This might help to line up the inserted files.

Worth a try.
#3916 by Bev
Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:07 pm
You could also ask the sender to bind the Xrefs before sending them. That way you'd be seeing what they intended (at least much closer to the intended). Hope this helps.
Bev