Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#4001 by brookefox
Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:48 pm
An issue perhaps related to this is that DCAD crashes when I attempt to overwrite a layer set with the same name, intending to re-define it. Maybe as a part of this crash the layers are duped?
#4011 by brookefox
Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:19 pm
Well, no, the layers are duped without the crashes. This is a most obnoxious bug as I must keep monitoring and checking each dupe layer to see which is most current.
#4015 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:23 pm
What version of Datacad are you using? Are you using Layer Export / Import at all? Or maybe using an old macro? Can you find a pattern when it seems like the dupe. layers appear?
#4017 by brookefox
Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:52 pm
It seems this is a result of my not understanding the layer set functions: I thought they were to save settings to be loaded when desired for working on something in particular and then quickly switching to other sets as appropriate for other work - now I finally realize that the 'load' command loads additional copies of the previously created layer sets, it does not return the layers to the previous state, which is what I thought was going on, and what I would like to do.

Thanks, Josh.
#4018 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:42 pm
Hello Brooke,

Just a contribution:

You can use the "S4 Import Layer" feature on [Layers] menu, to replace the contents of the active layer with an imported one.

This can allow to update your drawing with an external contribution.

Thanks,
Miguel
#4020 by brookefox
Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Thanks, Miguel. That may well prove useful in the near future.
#4024 by Paul Nida
Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:20 pm
brookefox wrote:It seems this is a result of my not understanding the layer set functions: I thought they were to save settings to be loaded when desired for working on something in particular and then quickly switching to other sets as appropriate for other work - now I finally realize that the 'load' command loads additional copies of the previously created layer sets, it does not return the layers to the previous state, which is what I thought was going on, and what I would like to do.

What you are saying sounds like GoToViews. Try going to the GoToViews menu and saving go to views which allows you to switch back and forth to views with various layers switched on and off.
#4029 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:47 pm
Hi (Brooke?):

I see what you are looking for and the end result you are after (I think). If I understand correctly, you'd like to load a LayerSet and have the results replace what currently resides on layers of the same name. Am I on the right track here? If not, please elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish and I'll see about getting it into a future version. Just ask around, Wish Lists are something we try and take care of pretty quickly. :wink:

Regards,
Dave
#4030 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:53 pm
As an aside, you should not be getting a crash when attempting to overright an existing LayerSet. This was (indeed) a problem in an earlier version of DataCAD, but I thought we had taken care of it. What version of DataCAD are you using? If it's the latest, could you please ZIP up a copy of the LayerSet files and the the drawing you are trying to export to that existing LayerSet and email them to me? If this is still a problem in the LayerSet save function I'd like to fix it.

Thank you,
Dave
#4039 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:14 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:...If I understand correctly, you'd like to load a LayerSet and have the results replace what currently resides on layers of the same name. Am I on the right track here?

Hello Dave,

This is a very interesting improvement. Please, put it in your list for v12.
I'd like to contribute with some ideas for the increase of powership to this feature.

TIA,
Miguel
#4050 by brookefox
Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:36 pm
Paul Nida wrote:
What you are saying sounds like GoToViews. Try going to the GoToViews menu and saving go to views which allows you to switch back and forth to views with various layers switched on and off.

Thanks much, Paul. Sounds like that's what I was hoping for.

- Brooke
#4051 by brookefox
Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:41 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:As an aside, you should not be getting a crash when attempting to overright an existing LayerSet. This was (indeed) a problem in an earlier version of DataCAD, but I thought we had taken care of it. What version of DataCAD are you using? If it's the latest, could you please ZIP up a copy of the LayerSet files and the the drawing you are trying to export to that existing LayerSet and email them to me? If this is still a problem in the LayerSet save function I'd like to fix it.

Thank you,
Dave

Thanks, Dave. DC version in which layer set over-write crashes occur: 11.05. I know 11.07 is current.

- Brooke
#4053 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:52 pm
Hi Brooke:

Have you tried updating your version of DataCAD? 11.05 was quite a while ago and a great many things have been corrected since then.

Dave
#4090 by brookefox
Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:09 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:Hi Brooke:

Have you tried updating your version of DataCAD? 11.05 was quite a while ago and a great many things have been corrected since then.

Dave

I'll look into that.

Thanks.