Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#4147 by greeneyes
Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:47 pm
I cannot edit symbols when they are placed in my drawing.
Such as changing text or erasing objects. I'm sure this is
something simple, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks
#4148 by Tony Blasio
Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:21 pm
FIrst thought is the symbol exploded or unexploded? If un-exploded then that is the problem. An unexploded symbol is one entitiy that is essentially locked. If exploded then there is more to look at. When you insert a symbol check the side menu to see if the "Explode" is toggled on. This is what you want if you plan on changing the properties of the symbol. You can also explode an already inserted symbol by using the 3D Explode function.

If the symbol was inserted with Explode toggled on and you cannot edit it you need to see if your Layer Search is on (if off you can only edit the active layer). Also see if any layers are locked.

Hope this helps :)
#4156 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:26 pm
Hello & welcome,

In addition to what Tony mentioned, if you want all your symbols to be changed, then if you explode one of them, change it, and then Redefine it (i.e. save a new version of the symbol) then all the other instances of the symbol with be changed.

Also, you may want to look into text attributes in symbols -- these are text entities that can be changed "within" an unexploded symbol.
#4158 by greeneyes
Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:33 pm
Thank you both for your quick response.I have only been using this program for about a month now. I do not have an explode button showing when I insert symbols. I do if I turn on 3d, but clicking explode
turns everything to the same color & I still can't edit it. how do I look into
text attributes?[/quote]
#4162 by greeneyes
Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:25 pm
Tony & Neil,
I think I have the problem figured out now. I did find the explode button, turned it on, & also turned autopath one to get edits to work on my symbols.
Thank you both for all your help!
Rene'