Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#56801 by Bob Urbanek
Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am
I bought a new Logitech Marathon mouse, model M705. It has a scroll wheel. My previous mouse was a Logitech, and also had a scroll wheel. The old one worked great, right out of the box. The new one won't object snap. I used their setup software to set the scroll wheel to middle button. Still doesn't snap. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob
#56802 by Nick Pyner
Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 pm
Quite apart from the usual tired " have you got the latest driver?" issues, have you really isolated your problem?

Does the old mouse still work fine? i.e. DataCad is clearly not the problem.

Does the new mouse work properly on another computer?

Does the mouse work occasionally?

I have a bad history with this. I bought a new laptop a few years ago and new Microsoft 3000 mouse to go with it. It refused to snap, so I bought a MS cheapo. No dice with that either.

The antediluvian Intellimouse Explorer from the desktop works perfectly on that laptop. I have since bought a cheapoo bluetooth which also works perfectly.

The MS 3000 will work on the desktop, but only when it is very close, and only then when it feels like it, which isn't often.

The upshot of all this is that there is only one criterion for a mouse - will it painlessly and consistently snap in DataCad? They all should and, if one consistently didn't, we would probably all know about it. But some don't work for you, and the best thing to do is promptly return them. Trust me, I've got two redundant MS mice to prove it.
#56803 by Dave
Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:18 am
Had the same issue with my Logitech Trackman Wheel. Found Mouse and keyboard settings under programs/logitech and changed 3 to Generic Button and all's well

Dave

mouse.PNG
mouse.PNG (111.71 KiB) Viewed 26319 times
#56804 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 am
Bob,

If you had an old Logitech mouse that used the MouseWare driver, then you need to install the SetPoint driver that comes with the new mouse. Or, maybe you have both installed? If so, uninstall MouseWare. I had the same mouse working fine in both WinXP and Win7.
#56805 by Paul Nida
Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am
I have been using the M705 mouse for a while now and I like it. But when I first started using it I found that after using it for a while I didn't like the wheel for snapping. It seemed to be hit or miss sometimes and I didn't like the feel of it. So I set the thumb button as my middle button in DCAD and I use it for snapping. It didn't take that long for me to get used to it and I am happy with it that way. And it works very well for me now.
#56823 by Bob Urbanek
Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 am
Thanks for the replies. I tried the different suggestions, with no luck. Got frustrated, and re-connected the old mouse. I'll try again later.
Bob
#56865 by jerry.headley
Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm
I contacted Logitech support a few minutes ago, the support rep said you can change the function of any of the buttons including assigning the middle button function. You may need to do some digging to find it but it is there. Since you didn't state whether you were using Windows or Mac OS, the terminology maybe different; Also, did you install the SetPoint software?

Logitech Support link for assigning button functions:
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app ... 5/cl/us,en

I found this out when I was configuring my mice, Anywhere Mouse MX, V470 Bluetooth Laser, MX 1100 Cordless, on my MacBook Pro, see attachment.
#56866 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm
I wanted to use one of the buttons on my MX Revolution laser mouse for "Middle Button", but it was not among the available options in SetPoint for that particular button. I wound up modifying SetPoint's initialization file (user.xml) directly and got it to work.

Dave
#56871 by Bob Urbanek
Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm
I finally got it to work. Now, I hope I can get used to using my thumb. Feels a bit awkward at the moment.
Thanks to everyone.
Bob
#56966 by jimgoodman
Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:I wanted to use one of the buttons on my MX Revolution laser mouse for "Middle Button", but it was not among the available options in SetPoint for that particular button. I wound up modifying SetPoint's initialization file (user.xml) directly and got it to work.

Dave

Where would one locate the user.xml file. A search in Windows Explorer results in a runtime error and Explorer shutdown on my machine.

I have several Logitech mice and like to set the small button behind the scroll wheel for the middle button function. I have a Performance MX mouse but Setpoint has decided that normal folk can't program this button for middle button purposes.
#56968 by jimgoodman
Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 am
Thanks Dave. Realizing that you are dealing with a complete programming novice :oops: , where does one enter the supplied code?