Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#4307 by Tony Blasio
Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
OK here is one that I know I can fix by uninstalling and re-installing DataCAD but I don't want to go thru that.

At home my DataCAD 11 is installed at C:/dcad-xi

This is due to me having DataCAD 10 installed at C:/datacad

Now my work system has DataCAD 11 installed at C:/datacad

This is due to it being the first DataCAD installed on that machine.

Now with Databases, linked symbols and more work between home and work I want to match these up so that paths are identical. I have considered ininstalling DataCAD 11 at work and reinstalling in the identical path as home. What I am hoping for is a way to simply rename the work folder in some way.

Any thoughts on this? :?:
#4309 by Tony Blasio
Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:21 am
I thought about it some more after posting this and decided it was probably time to uninstall DC10. I am making a backup of all my DataCAD program folders and am going to uninstall everything, then install DC11 fresh into the C:/datacad folder to match it to work.

I will think of it as a spring cleaning of sorts!
#4317 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:53 pm
Hi Tony,

You are giving also additional reasons to improve the "Save as..." for File menu, with the addition of the "Pack to Go" option.

There must be less headaches when you need to make file transfers from one machine to another. In many situations you will tie files in the absolute path, while in other it will be dealed with relative path.
This is valid for drawing files, X-Refs, Render textures, etc.

Thanks,
Miguel
#4321 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:12 pm
Hi Tony,

I read that you solved the hardlock issue, but I'm still confused as to why you are not using the default C:\Program Files\DataCAD\ for v11? I'll bet a lot of the HL difficulties stemmed from not using this?

Also, did you install a new hard drive, or something, that made you need to do this?
#4322 by Tony Blasio
Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:35 pm
Neil,

Basically I wanted to make my home DataCAD paths match my work DataCAD paths. So I uninstalled DC11 which was originally at c:\dcad-xi and reinstalled it at c:\datacad like work (I initially had DC10 at c:\datacad here at home which is why I had the dcad-xi). Odds are the uninstall of DataCAD 10 and DataCAD Plus contributed to this fiasco of mine as well.

The pathing has never been a problem and I like having DataCAD in the root (holdover from older DOS days).

My problem it appears stemmed from the uninstall removing the Virtual Device Driver key in the registry. This would not allow the Hardlock Drivers to install. After alot of head scratching, cussing and web surfing I found some help and took a chance editting the registry and adding this key manually. Once there the hardlock drivers installed perfectly.

I am good to go now and fully operational and customized.
#4347 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:38 pm
Been Using C:\My Douments\Datacad for my path. Been working great. One folder to backup catches all my docs and Datacad installation :mrgreen:
#4350 by Tony Blasio
Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:48 pm
My pathing concerns were mostly for Databases and symbols for when I bring work home. Now all my symbols will have the same paths and the databases that are linked to symbols.