Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#58732 by bchrd
Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 pm
I have noticed when I go to print and do a "save as" of the multi-layout sheet...to a pdf format and then go to print from the pdf file it is poor quality line work, lines blur together, etc. When I print directly from Datacad the line work looks crisp and clean. Is there some way to change a setting for a higher quality of pdf when saved? I forward the pdf's to consultants or clients and they print out a not so great quality print. Could use some guidance on this. Thank you.
#58737 by bchrd
Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 pm
I maybe didn't explain too well.
When you have a composed "Sheet" up on the monitor and you go to Print, you have the option of Plot or Save As. If you click save as, you give it a name and tell it where to save the file, and it saves it as a pdf format.

If I open that saved file in Acrobat and print from there, it is a pretty poor quality print, like very low resolution. If I print the same sheet from Datacad, it prints great.
Like anything, if it is being saved at 72dpi, it isn't going to print very nice compared to 200 or 300dpi.
We know one can get very nice quality prints for pdf files, it's all about the resolution, not the file format. I know how to modify the resolution for saving pdf's in other software but do not see where in Datacad. I checked the saved files, that are laid out for 13 x 19 paper and they are only about 60kb each, so obviously that is the reason they are printing so poorly.

Anyway, hope that defines the question better.
#58739 by MtnArch
Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm
Is there a setting within Acrobat that automatically reduces file size when it loads a file of a certain size or higher - either when loading the file or when printing? I know that there is a selection within one of the menus where you can reduce the file size. Maybe that's what's happening?
#58740 by joshhuggins
Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm
I think Adobe Reader has some settings in the Print Dialog in an advanced button or somewhere that sets the printed resolution when you use the Print As Images check box in Reader that overrides the resolution of the PDF itself. Also I think there might be one for fills. It's been a while since I've used Adobe Reader though so these options locations may have changed.