Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#58818 by dennisnorton
Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:56 pm
I am in the process of adding my own textures/materials. I am having difficulties with brick coursing properly. How do I establish the origin point for the materials. For some reason, the coursing is offset both horizontally and vertically. It is okay for distant views, but close views are not acceptable... Also, should the bmp files have a certain dimension? And how does texture scaling relate with bmp size?

thanks for any assistance.
#58833 by dannac
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:27 pm
A while back I asked a question about bmp origins. The reply below helped me.

1. On the main Windows type menu bar, go to View, Rendering, Texture Origin.
2. Select the polygon in question with the "Set" option selected/highlighted. There are a number of options available for setting the texture origin. My favorite is 3d cursor which works well in a Parallel View (Elevation or Isometric).
3. Snap to a point on the polygon - in your case it will probably be the center of the polygon in question.
4. Exit out.

This function is only available from the main Windows type menus. Because it's a bit hard to find and get to, I created a custom button on my 3d toolbar to access this function.
[Texture Origin]
Hint=Set Texture Origin
Icon=editmat
V=1052

or you can read the thread at link below

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12782&p=57439&hilit=texture+origin#p57439
#58868 by dennisnorton
Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:33 am
I am still having problems setting text origins. Perhaps I am being picky, but when showing textured drawings to a client, they should be professional looking...

I have created a texture file showing stacked bond 15 courses wide and 5 courses high (40" x 40")

No matter where I indicate the origin, I cannot get rid of the beginning mortar joint. The wall is 39 5/8" long, which takes into account the mortar joint of 3/8". What is the "Magic" in setting the origin? I have used every origin point thinkable.

Thanks for any assistance.
Attachments
Soldier Texture.jpg
Texture file
Soldier Texture.jpg (160.62 KiB) Viewed 7885 times
Soldier Study.jpg
Sun Shader Model
Soldier Study.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 7885 times
#58869 by Nick Pyner
Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:37 am
Are you sure that brickwork is kosher? You use the words "wall" and "bond" , but I have never seen a wall like that, I suspect not too many bricklayers have either, and I submit that, by definition, it isn't bonded.

As for the mortar, what you've got is what is in the picture. Things may not be as critical is they seem and may be fixed or fudged later. I guess the problem you have been having is the mortar courses going around the corner. If so, and it is seriously prominent, addressing the problem depends on the renderer you use. The vital word is probably "mapping". A possibly easier solution, assuming the wall is a slab, is to make it up in polygons, which can be rendered separately.
#58871 by dennisnorton
Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 am
Thanks for you comments, Nick. Perhaps I am of the old school and don't know the present terminology in construction. I was taught that when a brick is laid end on end it is a soldier course and have used this detail for over 30 years. I have no idea what you comment "it isn't bonded" means.

Nick, I had purchased textures from a third party several years ago. However, the stacked bond textures did not include a horizontal joint. So, through some manipulations, I added the bonding and added coursing so that the image would be square, as recommended in an earlier post.

The software I used is Adobe Photoshop Elements. It is an inexpensive program and easy to use - components snap, etc. which makes things so much easier.

My issue is this - if I have a wall 2'-7 5/8" long, the end bricks should be without vertical mortar joints. (The texture is 2'-8" long with one end joint) I have tried moving the origin points 3/8", but that didn't work. I have also played with the scaling factors of the materials, but that didn't work either. Maybe I am too much of a simpleton to understand what I am doing wrong.
#58873 by Nick Pyner
Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 pm
dennisnorton wrote:Thanks for you comments, Nick. Perhaps I am of the old school and don't know the present terminology in construction. I was taught that when a brick is laid end on end it is a soldier course and have used this detail for over 30 years. I have no idea what you comment "it isn't bonded" means.

You are almost certainly not as old as me, and this is probably just a cultural thing. If the brickies aren't laughing at you, and the walls haven't fallen down, don't worry about it.

My issue is this - if I have a wall 2'-7 5/8" long, the end bricks should be without vertical mortar joints. (The texture is 2'-8" long with one end joint) I have tried moving the origin points 3/8", but that didn't work. I have also played with the scaling factors of the materials, but that didn't work either. Maybe I am too much of a simpleton to understand what I am doing wrong.

What you have is a repetitive texture i.e. a few bricks several times, and I guess therein lies the problem. You can convert that into a single picture i.e. many bricks once, and sans the perpend at the end. It sounds like you have adequate control of origin and scale. You then stick that on the wall once. You can do this with much larger walls.