Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#59351 by jimgoodman
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 pm
Does anyone know of a stand alone utility that will convert a Revit rfa file to dwg or dxf format?
As an alternative, does anyone have access to Revit that would be willing to convert a small file for me?

Thanks
#59352 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:30 pm
I have a virtual machine setup with an undo disk which let you roll back any changes that may be used durning a session. So I fire it up, install the Revit trial version I have saved from their website into it, convert what I need and then when I close the VM & tell it not to save changes made during the session so the trial versions counter info doesn't get saved and it's ready to go next time. The bummer is Revit takes F...O...R...E...V...E...R to install it self. The VM comes in handy a lot for testing things without mudding up your system. I can convert something for you if you shoot me an email.
#59354 by jimgoodman
Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm
Perhaps we can convince Dave to include Revit import/translation capabilities in an upcoming DataCAD version. He must be done shoveling snow by now!

File is on it's way
#59441 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm
jimgoodman wrote:Perhaps we can convince Dave to include Revit import/translation capabilities in an upcoming DataCAD version. He must be done shoveling snow by now!

That would be sweet.

A couple of things for all to keep in mind...

1. Revit can't even talk between versions! I would guess that trying to keep up with a Revit translator/converter/importer would be even more of a headache than trying to keep up with AutoCAD translator/converter/importer.

2. Even the .dwg exports that come from Revit are hard to use. We have done a couple of projects in Revit, and have had to export information for our AutoCAD consultant ... He **HATES** the exports that come from Revit! Could someone else's exports be better? ...Don't know.