Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#59395 by GuyS
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm
I draw everything in 3D in DataCAD. When I draw a 2nd floor window, the cut out for the window shows up in plan view. This is confusing for municipal plan reviewers because when they are looking at Page 1 (my plan view of the 1st floor) the 2nd floor window cut out shows up with the sides capped. The only solution I have found to date is to add a couple of lines to walls layer where the 2nd floor windows are. Even so the sides of the windows (the capped wall ends) will show up. Rather than having to add white out to those caps, I am wondering if there is a simpler solution I am missing. The the example below. In this drawing of the 1st floor I am adding a "New 3x4 window". However previously I drew in the 2nd floor window (I've put that window on a separate layer) the result leaves an opening where the 2nd floor window is.
Attachments
ForumExample.jpg
ForumExample.jpg (82.59 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
#59396 by Roger D
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm
1st Floor should be drawn with z base/heights of say 0' and 8'
2nd Floor should be drawn with z base/heights of say 8' and 17'
When drawing in 3d, you need to think in all 3 dimensions.

ps, so for now, just take your 2nd Floor layers, turn all on, and do a Move z the proper dimension to get it up to the 2nd floor.
#59397 by GuyS
Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:27 pm
Thanks Roger

That would work. Create two separate walls (1st and 2nd floors) even for the exterior walls. I did that with the buildings interior walls. For the exterior walls (the ones with the "New window" notation, I had created only one wall with a z height of both floors (26 ft). That's a neat trick of yours though "take your 2nd Floor layers, turn all on, and do a Move z the proper dimension to get it up to the 2nd floor".