Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#4642 by boofredlay
Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:32 pm
I am full of questions today...

Is there a way to deselect an entity or group?

The way our title blocks are set up we have a reference point that is linked to the title block for plotting.
Any time I want to move something that is surronding the ref. point, I have to select areas around it, then the entities next to it.

I would like to be able to select everything in one window, then deselect the ref. point/border.

Or deselect anything for that matter would be nice.

Thanks.
#4643 by Philip Hart
Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:18 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "a reference point that is linked to the title block for plotting." An xref?

In any case, if you put that "reference point" in its own layer and select with layer search turned off, it wouldn't be selected. If there are many layer of info within the search area, put the "reference point" in its own layer, lock that layer, then select with layersearch turned on.

Hope this helps.
#4646 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:35 pm
Would be nice to have a way to deselect from multiples. But if we had a deselect option standard, it would add a step I think to the standard commands like Move and Copy because then we would have to click a "start" button or something to tell Datacad we don't want deselect anything and start the Move or Copy command.
#4648 by boofredlay
Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:59 pm
The way AutoCAD goes about it is you hold down shift and whatever you select, area or entity, is then deselected.
Very nice feature.
#4650 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:49 pm
Hi Eric,

As I understand it, one of the main differences between the way that DataCAD and AutoCAD work is that in AutoCAD you select all the entities first, and then select the tool that you want to use on them. In DataCAD, for the most part, it is the other way 'round; you open the tool menu first, and then select the entities. So depending on what it is that you are doing, if you make a mistake in the entity selection process, there are different ways to reverse a mistaken pick.

So, the same tools may not necessarily be needed? The only times that I ever need to deselect something is when I am using Control-E to select things to Copy or Cut -- and there is a "Delete from Set" button there on the menu that lets you deselect things; and the other is on the rare occasions when I need to use the Multiple option while doing a Copy or Move and Drag.

What is the situations where you are needing this? In the one you mention, with the snap point that is part of the border -- there are several things that come to mind:

:arrow: you can lock the border layer
:arrow: you can make the border with this point into a symbol (so that it can't be selected by a stretch, for instance)
:arrow: have the border as an XRef (which would allow you to have the title info in just one place)
:arrow: you could have a GTV of the drawing that turns off the border layer -- and another GTV to turn it on for Quick Layout plotting
:arrow: use MSP to avoid needing the border on the screen at the same time as the drawing
:arrow: use Fence w/ or w/o Crossing to go around the snap point
#4659 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:09 am
boofredlay wrote:... Is there a way to deselect an entity or group?

Why not just ask Dave to add a toggle "Desselect" in the menu column, working like "Subtract" does when you are selecting a value for a distance to Move, Copy, etc. when "Multiple" is set ?

Thanks,
Miguel
#4665 by boofredlay
Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:54 am
Well I mainly need it when I am moving entities in a detail setting.

As far as how AutoCAD does it, there are many different ways. You don't have to select first. In fact I usually select my command first unless I am editing bu using the grips.
#4687 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 am
Boof,

You must consider that in AC you need to confirm the operation 'after' have completed the selection.
In DC you will get the result done as long as the selection is made, by any of selection methods (AGAF's).

One solution could be the option to hold down the "Ctrl" key, while you are selecting and (optionally) 'desselecting'. The option to 'subtract' must be available after is done the first selection, while you are holding 'Ctrl' key.

Thanks,
Miguel
#4693 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:52 am
Thats a good solution Miguel :!:
#4697 by Paul Nida
Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:48 pm
One way to do much of this now is to use the Ctrl-E to select and deselect and then use either cut to move or copy to copy and then paste it in the new location. I know this is not exactly what you want but it may help in the mean time.
#4867 by deliriousga
Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:45 am
Miguel Palaoro wrote:Why not just ask Dave to add a toggle "Desselect" in the menu column, working like "Subtract" does when you are selecting a value for a distance to Move, Copy, etc. when "Multiple" is set ?

Thanks,
Miguel

That's similar to other programs I use where you can hold the "shift" key down and deselect things or add things. I like that idea a lot Miguel! :D
#4869 by MtnArch
Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:13 am
boofredlay wrote:I am full of questions today...

Is there a way to deselect an entity or group?

The way our title blocks are set up we have a reference point that is linked to the title block for plotting.
Any time I want to move something that is surronding the ref. point, I have to select areas around it, then the entities next to it.

I would like to be able to select everything in one window, then deselect the ref. point/border.

Or deselect anything for that matter would be nice.

Thanks.

It just occured to me that making a SelSet might be the workaround for the time being (until we can convince Dave to implement a "deselect" in a future version!). Once you start the SelSet you can remove any entity or entities from it.

Thoughts?
#4870 by maa
Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:28 am
boofredlay, good question. you beat me to it.

i was going to ask same regarding a deselect/remove from the selection set with the following commands:

move
copy
change
match properties

and Miguel, your solution is what we where looking for.

michael
#4879 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:50 pm
Well, it's done.

I've just added a new wish item for selection/deselection using 'Ctrl' key.

Thanks,
Miguel