Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#60355 by fsoliver
Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 pm
I am building a roof with RoofBuilder Tools which makes polygon roof shapes. I would like to assign a roofing material to the top of the roof and a color for the vertical (fascia) side of the roof. If I can figure this out with your help, I can assign a wood material to the sloped underside wood ceiling. Anyone have a way to assign materials to the different surfaces of a polygon. I changed the fascia to a material color and it changed the top to that color from the roofing material that was previously assigned to it. When I assign by layer, the entire roof structure (all sides) are assigned to that material (roofing).
Thanks for any help,

shan
#60356 by Roger D
Fri May 24, 2013 4:08 pm
That's an issue with both Roofit and RBTools, it makes one slab for the planes of the roof.
If you explode to polygons, you can then select the whole roof for shingles, then go back and pick each fascia/rake edge as an area.
Or,
You could make a separated fascia at the edge with the other material, and then a new polygon or polyline for the flat soffit.
Hopefullly these quick notes make some sense and get you going again.
#60687 by fsoliver
Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:42 pm
OK, I did option one of the two you mentioned and explode the RBTOOLS slabs to polygons, then I select the whole roof for shingles, and went back and picked each fascia/rake edge as Ctrl (rightclick) and picked Polygon properties and changed the materials to a color. This took a lot longer than I expected because the picking of the polygons seems to be a hit and miss endeavor. Does anyone have a good way to pick the polygon edges so that you can get the polygon surface you want without going through this trial and error method?
#60688 by Roger D
Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm
I agree it's tedious.
I pick the fascias by area, doing a change/more/materials, and then pick each eave or rake by area. You will select vertical surfaces that you need. I'll then also add a polyline for the soffit. The only issue is the bottom side of the rakes will still be the shingle.
Would be nice to have RBTools be able to add a define before the creation, under settings, setting the materials for each plane.