Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#4710 by Heinrich
Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:13 am
We receive site plans in from surveyors on almost ever job. They use AutoCAD and like to use polylines for thing such as contour lines and sidewalks. Sometimes I have to manipulate them (trim, weld, etc.). Some of these commands only work on ‘lines’ not ‘3D lines’. I’ve tried exploding them into lines and that does separate the polylines into individual lines, but they are still considered 3D lines and therefore cannot be affected by these commands. Is there a way to convert these 3D lines into regular lines?
Thank You.

-Redd
#4713 by Philip Hart
Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:38 am
That converter has a 1996 date. When it makes the conversion, will the entities be "valid" in 11 (new database)?
#4715 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:09 am
Yes, Philip,

It works fine. The only attention we suggest to Redd is to observe if this polylines has a height, they must be changed to the same (like 'zero') for Z-Base and Z-Hite. Unless you do this, there will be two 2D Lines one on top of the other, in the distance of its height.

Indeed we asked for an improvement for that command "Explode" to Lines, that is actually "To 3D lines" and the addition of a new "To 2D lines".
The problem I guess Dave is facing is how to deal with eventual height in the polyline.

Thanks,
Miguel
#4718 by Heinrich
Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:42 am
Downloaded the macro. It works on some of the 3D lines, but others is says "No 3D lines to lines found to convert". I tried snapping to a line as well, no luck. The line is still identified as a 3D line. Of course its only working on the ones I really don't need converting. :( Any ideas?

-Redd
#4719 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:15 am
Hi Redd,

Sure, the macro only works on 3D lines that have the same Z-base and Z-height values -- i.e. if they are "level" lines, then it will convert them. But if they are sloped 3D lines, then it won't work.

But, if you Change/Z-base to 0 and the Z-height to 0, and then use the macro, you should then be all set! :o
#4722 by Heinrich
Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:35 pm
Neil,
Changed the z-value to 0 and it worked fine. This shall same me some time in the future.
Thanks again.

-Redd