Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#60698 by galenanderson
Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:16 am
I failed to come up with a good name for what i am trying to change, but ill describe it.

When I go to enter a distance by using the function keys I get a menu starting with F1 = 0 1/32" and going all the way up to S7 = 8'-0"

I never use the small (1/32 or 1/16)or the large units (4' and 8') but I do use 3/8" and 2" all the time. How can I change which increments appear on this list?

Thanks!
#60699 by Roger D
Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 am
Settings/Edit Def/Distances/Change and make them what ever you need.
I'd then also save the File.
#60722 by galenanderson
Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:08 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Galen,

You can just start typing the distance, though.

That is ok for any distance over one foot that is in whole foot increments, but say I need to draw a 3/4" line, rather than a single keystroke to enter that distance from the function key assigned to it, i have to press space or a number key first.
#60730 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 am
Actually, there is an INI setting that lets you type a period first:

[General]
PeriodKeyRestoresLastEntity=FALSE

And if you want to be able to type a "negative" distance without needing the Space Bar, change this too:

[General]
MinusKeyTogglesOvershoot=FALSE

I hope this helps.
#60732 by galenanderson
Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 am
that is perfect.

Thank you for being so helpful. I'm fairly new to DataCad and slow compared to autocad, these little things add up and have been increasing my speed. Productivity is key at any firm, we switched to smart arrows this morning and I am sure that this will save us dozens of people hours in the next year.
#60786 by galenanderson
Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:35 pm
Neil - you helped me out a lot with those .INI tweaks. Is there a complete list of the ini settings and what each one does, I would love to know about them all so I can set it up the way I want and not have to think "hey i wonder if data cad can do..." then go searching.