Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#60723 by galenanderson
Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:16 pm
Is there any way to do this?

My firm uses schedules that are made up of a grid symbol and then a symbol for each entry that contains an attribute for each of the columns.

If i could tie each of those to a line of a csv document i could save a lot of time by making the schedule in excel but using datacad to lay it out graphically.
#60724 by Roger D
Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 pm
yes you can.
Look on page 350 of the manual where it discusses linking the symbol attribute to a database (.csv file).
Usuallly you pick the 1st item, and the rest get completed.
#60751 by Roger D
Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:07 am
What I have done is to open an standard excel file, Top row being headers/Titles of the columns to link to in DCAD.
Rows have the info you need.
Do a save as .csv so Dcad can read it.

In Dcad then, for the Symbol Attribute, you link to the file, and select the file and header/column.
In the sample below, the School Name is linked to the File , and the lookup field has the name
Symbol Attribute 1.png
Symbol Attribute 1.png (40.98 KiB) Viewed 5644 times

Each line of the symbol below is linked to the same file, and when I pick the School Name, the other fields get populated.
Symbol Attribute 1.png
Symbol Attribute 1.png (40.98 KiB) Viewed 5644 times

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Symbol Attribute 2.png
Symbol Attribute 2.png (51.06 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
#60844 by galenanderson
Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:32 pm
I have a couple questions.

How do you make it so you only have to pick once for each symbol? I have been messing around a little but i have to pick for every attribute in the symbol.

Secondly, how do i change the path of the file that I am referencing. I want to make the symbol once, then populate it with different information in each drawing.