Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#351 by Navigator
Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:45 am
:cry:

I use Datacad 8.5. I have just replaced Canon Bubble Jet 330 with Canon LBP - 2000 Laser Beam Printer for my drawings.

I am having problems printing/plotting. Any nuances I have missed out on for the correct operations.

Please help bearing in mind that I am no software expert......Urgent
#355 by Greg Blandin
Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:12 am
Sounds like you need to update your print driver.

You should be able to get it from the printer website. Just find the section for print drivers and download the one for your operating system (Win98 or XP or what not).

Greg
#358 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:26 am
Hello & welcome!

Can you print a Windows test page? Go to the Start/Settings/Printer/ and right click on the new printer's control panel, and select Printing Preferences (or it may be under Properties), and print the test page.

If the control panel is not there -- then this is the problem! The printer is not installed yet! If it is there and you can't print the test page, then the issue is in the installation and/or the printer. If you can print it, then you should be able to select the printer in DataCAD's Plotter/Set Up dialog.

Can you give us an update of what is happening? Then we might be able to help you narrow things down.
#396 by Navigator
Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:41 am
Hello Greg + Neil,

Thanks for your responses.

New driver supplied with the new Laser printer LBP-2000 has been loaded. Test page plus all other prints beautifully except when I go into Datacad. I just can't plot/print anything.

I hope that I have not bought something that is NOT competible with Datacad 8.5 !

With kind regards.
Navigator
#397 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:05 am
Hello:

What flavor of Windows are you using? Is the printer connected locally (LPT or USB) or is it on a network? What are the settings for the printer in it's control panel, and what does your DataCAD/Plotter/Setup look like?

When you try to print from DataCAD -- what happens, exactly?
#411 by Navigator
Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:37 am
G'day Neil,

Thank U 4 your response. Answers to your questions as folows:
Operating system is Windows 98/E.
Printer connected to LPT Port (no network).
Control Panel designation of the printer/plotter LBP-2000 as the default.
Datacad setup indicates LBP-2000 correctly as the default as well with all the other parameters similar to my previous Canon Bubble Jet BJ330 printer.
Procedure followed to print/plot identical to my previous practice as with Canon Bubble Jet BJ330. After 'Setup', 'Scale', 'Pen Selection', 'Quick Layout' and finally 'Plot'...........nothing happens after this. This is very strange since I can print my documents using other MS Software like Office etc. but cannot do anything under Datacad ! Hopeless situation really.
Anyway, must solve this dilemma somehow.

With kind regards.

Navigator
#412 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:13 am
G'Day!

Okay, now I'm getting a better picture! Have you tried printing from DataCAD with a really small, simple drawing? (It may just be taking a long time for a big one -- how long are you waiting?)

Is there a setting in the printer control panel to select where the printing is processed? If so, it probably defaults to the printer, but it is very possible that processing it in the computer will be much faster.

Also, does the paper size selected in DataCAD match the paper loaded in the printer?

As you say; it should work! Maybe on Monday (or actually Tuesday, since Monday is a federal holiday) we will hear from Mark Toce -- he'll probably know what to check. If you want to be sure that he sees it, you might e-mail him at TechSupport@DataCAD.com.

IHTH
#413 by Navigator
Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:46 am
G'day Neil,

Once again thank U 4 your response.

Yes I have tried to print a simple drawing. It won't even print a single text let alone a simple text. It does not want to know Datacad !

You raised something very interesting. Processing in the printer v/s processing in the computer. This is for the software experts!

Anyway, I have been at this continuously for the last 2 days. I can't take this anymore nor afford the downtime. Unfortunately, there is no damn backup of this cad package whatsoever here in Perth, WA. I have to think about my options very fast even if it means righting off the two Datacad licenses I hold.

Anyway Neil, thanks once again for caring.

Kind regards.
Navigator
#421 by Rod
Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:05 pm
Hello, I hope this isn,t an oversimplification but have you selected the new printer in setup in the print plot screen in datacad.
#423 by Navigator
Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:20 am
Hello Neil,

Yes, this was one of the first things I did.

Software technician has just left my place after tinkering with the Cad. He first tinkered with the windows program and couldn't quite understand why I could print anything from window's based programs except for Datacad. He first went into the windows operating system and adjusted whatever he needed to but failed. Then he went into the DOS mode and manipulated some verbage and lord behold managed to print a drawing.

He gave me a bill of $150 and advised not to change anything on the system. The control panel/printer configuration and Datacad/printer/plotter configuration is exactly identical to what I had before. He has not changed anything here.

Anyway, it is working although I would like to know what/how he did so that I can pass the information around. Very secretive character!

With kind regards.
Navigator
#428 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:13 am
Hello:

Good deal! When you say "DOS mode" did he reboot the computer to a DOS screen, or did he run a DOS window (black background with text only), or was it a large "tree" on the left side, with lots of odd looking text on the right side? If you go to Start/Run/ what is the command that is topmost?

BTW, since you are running Win98, have you seen my System Resources post?
#464 by Rod
Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:03 pm
G'Day Navigator, Please don't blame Neil for the low end advise, Glad to hear its all worked out, wish I had such a guru in my neck of the woods sometimes. Rod.
#1246 by Navigator
Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:04 am
:) Hello Neil/Rod,

Just a courtesy follow-up on the printer.

No hickups at all and the process is smooth and very silent unlike noisy bubble jet printer. I would recommend this A3 Laser printer any Datacad user.

Happy Easter.